• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing MJ with XJ

webbjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of towing an MJ with my stock XJ ..... it has a 1 1/4 hitch with 3500lbs and and 300 tong ratings.
I'm a gentle driver, brakes are good, and I will be using a dolly, is the comanche too much for this equipment?

40 mile hilly trip ..... not long hills, but some short steep ones.

Any thoughts, I know I'm under equipped, I may try to borrow a bigger rig.

The hitch would be marginal, your braking power almost non-existent. Guessing you have a 4.0 in your XJ or you wouldn't even be asking.

Go rent a pickup truck for a day, you won't be sorry.

Does the dolly have working brakes? That's a lot to ask the XJ to stop all by it's self.
Don't forget to add in the wight of tools spare parts wife kids dog etc etc. that can real add up sometimes and all has to be stoped.
Didn't give the year of the XJ but the upgraded brake booster may help.
Is it a slush-o-matic? If so. A addon tranny cooler would be nice if you want to tow in any heat.
If it's a stick that might be a lot in much stop and go. She will eat the clutch up fast. stock gearing that is.
Cooling. In this weather cooling should not be a problem AS LONG as most parts of it is fresh. But by summer time a 3 row rad, a ZJ clutch fan and a addon E fan if your don't have one how would do fine.
luck

ive towed a few jeeps with my zj i have and it was never a comfortable trip, besides being marginally powerfull enough, braking was a concern, and with the short wheel base it just felt unstable to me, last trip i needed to tow a short distance i went to uhaul.. 19 bucks for the truck and then pay per mile, felt much better than using my jeep. just my .02

Back