• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter motor misbehaviour

peterv

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ, straight 6, auto. For the last 6 months, on start up, sometimes if it doesnt fire straight away, it just engages and then whirrs away. Its now got worse and won't turn over the motor. Popped the starter out today and checked it over, cleaned the solenoid and bench tested and all appears to work on the bench
Could it be the bendix clutch? It sounds like it engages and then starts to whirr.If I short the small terminal to the thick pos cable connected to the solenoid in situ it does the same thing.The battery is good and new, even tried jumping it but that makes no difference. Help!

Thanks guys!All sorted! managed to source a bendix and for good measure a solenoid this morning and rebuilt the starter and now its perfect.Parts are not very easy to come by here, so I consider myself lucky managing to find them.

Back