• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No bus code frustration

NYjeeper82

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys Merry christmas! Ive been lurking on this forum for a lilttle while having just made the hop from zj's back to a xj for the first time in a few years, and id like to say hi to everyone and ask my first question. I got a 99 4.0 and i converted it from automatic to a 5 speed, and after doing the swap everything runs fine and drives but i have a No bus displayed on my instrument panel, which i never had before, none of my guages work or turn signals or taillights? I changed out the PCM when i did the swap, as well as the main wiring harness coming into the cabin on the drivers side, and the tranny wiring harness as well. After researching i cleaned all the the grounds, took the cluster out and cleaned the connections for that, put in a spare cluster i had, and still sit here with nothing working. My question: is there a body control module? it seems the pcm is working fine its just not being relayed to the cluster panel, but i cant seem to find a bcm? also would the tranny control module from the auto throw anything off? now thats its got no wires running to it ect i would think its just a paperweight but im open to ideas, thanks everyone

No BCM.

You put in a manual PCM--right? Donor was what year?

TEST your fuses, not sure which ones for your 99, so just check them all--use a meter or test light, don't just look at them.

With the NO BUS, along with the tail lights, you must have multiple problems. You need to take a multimeter along with a wiring diagram, and start working your way back from the fuse box.

You put in a manual PCM--right? Donor was what year?

yes, i got the manual pcm, from a 98, it runs well and drives fine just nothing going on inside

With the NO BUS, along with the tail lights, you must have multiple problems. You need to take a multimeter along with a wiring diagram, and start working your way back from the fuse box.

its a weird combination, power windows locks ect work, as well as headlights hi/low, but the cluster dosnt light up nor the panels for the heater controls, its frustrating because all of this was fine before i did the swap!! Thanks for the input guys, i couldnt find a bcm for the life of me, but it seemd like that could be the issue, back to lookin for a ground issue i guess? when i put in the clutch pedal and brake pedal bracket im hoping i pulled something loose but its hard to hang like a bat and get your head under the dash to see!

ok, update, i checked every fuse i could access, and unhooked each ground to see if the motor stalled ect, and eliminated all engine compartment gournds except the one behind the dipstick, that has 2 wires, and the big flat ground from the back of the valve cover area to the body, still no success, i drove the donor vehicle around before i pulled the parts and it ran normal with no electrical issues, what are the chances the pcm died in the swap?:gonnablow im no electrician and this stuff baffles me, checked the FSM for wiring diagrams and it looks like greek to me, 2 of the plugs off the pcm go into 1 main harness that terminates for the injectors and intake manifold and wraps around to the side for the dist, oil pressure, ect, off that line there are 4 gounds total, can i wire all those grounds into a single ground wire to terminate on a known good spot on the fender well?

Back