• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who builds axle assembly's?

oblivion_twister

NAXJA Forum User
Gotta get rid of my d35, don't have access to big enough welder to mod mounts. Who builds 44s, 8.25s or 8.8s to bolt in?

chryco does not make anything bolt in for the xj anymore.

Most any axle manufacturer can make you one, for a price. Currie and Dynatrack are probably the 2 biggest(and most expensive) custom axle places. Either one will be glad to sell you a -44, 8.8, or anything else for $2500.00 or so, ready to bolt in, your choice of gears, brakes, locker, etc.

FAR less expensive would be to get a 8.25 or Cherokee D-44 out of a junkyard, bolt on a brake upgrade at your leisure, and have a locker installed down the road if you like.

Lots of local shops build axles all the time, not just 4wd shops, but not many ship axles around the country.

If the OP wants a local built and pick it up yourself axle he should post in his regional chapter for input on the better shops close to him.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ ....go to the "complete axle assemby" tab.

Base price for a HP30 is $150 and $500 for the 8.8. The HP30 base is knuckle in. Click on it and add what you want. The 8.8 is set up for direct bolt in for XJs. Click on it and you can add what you want.

Before the bashing starts...lol....this is a bit of cash... I agree. But I myself spend 10 months out of the year overseas in Afghanistan and have no time to build when I get back. My current build is my 3rd XJ. Unfortunately, I'll be having to go this route. Fortunately, I've been saving my ass of and will throw down the cash...even though it WILL hurt...since I love to actually work on my XJs.

The 30 is going to run me about $1300. Thats a shiny sandblasted and painted HP30..regeared to 4.56...True Trac...new Moog ball joints....and knuckles. I have alloys already to go with it as well as hubs and new brakes on my LP.

The 8.8 will run me around $1600 for a bolt in 8.8....regeared to 4.56...Powertrax No Slip....flange adapter....flush shock mounts...Solid diff cover...and completely new brakes.

Shipping is free but "handling" is $250 and I get an additional $100 off because they feel sorry for me that my ass is overseas. My dad lives in NC so I may just pick em up on my way back home to TX. So that's $2800 for a set with pretty much everything new...geared...and locked/LS.

Again...I know this can be done cheaper...but it's just not in the cards for me now...and may not be for the OP. Hoping to break it in at EJS this year...god willing.....

...and yes I represent NAXJA from 7974 miles away from home...

zi616251.jpg

Last edited:
um um umm 3 grand for a dana 30 and ford 8.8!

You are crazy! pick up some junkyard 60's and have someone local build them entirely for 3k. At the very least go duel ARB's. LSD's are a waste of space in a jeep, do it right the first time.

Or save yourself a boat load and grab a d30 from a 4cyl rig, and a 8.8 with stock 4.10 gears. A novice welder can swap an axle into the back of an XJ. then you can have 4.10 gears and a LSD for around 800- selling old axles.

Thanks for being there during the holiday. I need to learn to appreciate my family more.

Junkyards here suck, they don't seem to have shit that isn't already cleaned out and I'm going for a build that doesn't have to be done then improved later. I'll probably ebay an 8.25 for 250 shipped then have the 4.56s thrown in. By spring I want to be on 33s or 35s

I see your point Austinaubinoe. The way I justify it though is time and end result. Last time I got a great price on a HP30 and 8.8 deal from a fellow on here..this was years back. Since I used to live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland too, I brought them to my buddy Mike up at Appalachian Offroad to check out. Pinion was shot, gears weren't set properly and ended up having to have the 8.8 redone. Prolly stuff I should have been able to check for myself pre-purchase...so no harm no foul on his part. This way though, I get piece of mind that almost everything is new...since this is my DD and will make numerous runs from TX to NOVA. I had that load range tire thread the other day, remember. If I had more than 2-3 weeks at home between trips out here....I'd def go the JY route...or at least do some searching. But no way you look at it...it does sting the wallet. I'll post my entire build when it's done so that way everyone can slap me in the back of the head....yes....overkill...lol.

Thanks for the "thanks".....it's always appreciated.....and I'm sure I speak for all NAXJA members that are currently deployed in this part of the world and abroad.

^^^ I would go with a D44 in the front if I was you especially if your having it built, the price difference can't be that much and the D44 is a much better choice long term. I have the 8.8 rear and would definitely recommend that if you plan to run 35's or wheel it in the rocks but if not the factory 8.25 or XJ44 would be the cheapest and easiest (bolt-in) solution.

Get a junkyard 8.8, buy some spring perches, the yolk adapter, shock mounts, mark where you want the perches, take it to a welding shop, and have them weld the perches and axle tubes. Should be less than 100 bucks. That's the cheapest way I can think of.

go to a junkyard find a 90's izuzu rodeo they come with a 44 with 4.56 lsd rear end u can get them for about 300 dollars then go to ruffstuff and get a easy swap kit for a 44 and ur done geared and ready to go

$3k for geared, locked/traction device, freshly rebuilt, bolt in axles is a fine price. Buying gears and traction devices is probably close to $700 per axle anyway.

You think a shop is going to find a HP D44 front, narrow it, add mounts, regear it, and put new ball joints in for $1300? Get me one too. :roflmao:

I see your point Austinaubinoe. The way I justify it though is time and end result. Last time I got a great price on a HP30 and 8.8 deal from a fellow on here..this was years back. Since I used to live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland too, I brought them to my buddy Mike up at Appalachian Offroad to check out. Pinion was shot, gears weren't set properly and ended up having to have the 8.8 redone. Prolly stuff I should have been able to check for myself pre-purchase...so no harm no foul on his part. This way though, I get piece of mind that almost everything is new...since this is my DD and will make numerous runs from TX to NOVA. I had that load range tire thread the other day, remember. If I had more than 2-3 weeks at home between trips out here....I'd def go the JY route...or at least do some searching. But no way you look at it...it does sting the wallet. I'll post my entire build when it's done so that way everyone can slap me in the back of the head....yes....overkill...lol.

Thanks for the "thanks".....it's always appreciated.....and I'm sure I speak for all NAXJA members that are currently deployed in this part of the world and abroad.

Sorry if my original post sounded a little harsh. I think I was a little drunk.

Anyways the point I was trying to make is that the gear installer doesnt care if its a d30 or a d60, installs are the same. And a full case LSD is not far off from a full case ARB. And because its the same cost to install a full case locker as re gearing, its something to think long and hard about.

Oh and I just picked up a set of Moab wheels from Appalachian offroad! If mike is the owner, I guess its the guy we talked to. Im thinking about pulling my leaky front 60 and replacing the seals and bearings in the spring. I think Im also gonna drop it off there to get the lock right replaced with an ARB.

Sad to say it didnt look like mike was doing to well. He was even trying to sell his monster TJ on tons.

I need to give him a call...he was a good buddy of mine when I lived up there..... I've decided I deserve a little joy in my life after all this travelling....so:

8.8....4.56....ARB and HP30....4.56.....ARB....Powered by my CO2 tank.....FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

$3k for geared, locked/traction device, freshly rebuilt, bolt in axles is a fine price. Buying gears and traction devices is probably close to $700 per axle anyway.

You think a shop is going to find a HP D44 front, narrow it, add mounts, regear it, and put new ball joints in for $1300? Get me one too. :roflmao:

I agree. It depends what you like to do and how you want to spend your time. $3k for 2 axles with lots of new components, gears, and lockers sounds like a sweet deal. One weekend and you are out wheeling.

Ben

Back