• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting issues

Irongrave

NAXJA Forum User
I've been fighting some odd starting issues with my 92 XJ with an aw4 for a few months now.

I can't get the fuel pump relay to click on after its been sitting for more then a few hours off. Also the ADS relay doesn't seem to work. swapped both out no change.

Now for the odd thing some days I can manually close the fuel pump relay and the jeep will start some days nothing, no spark no fire.

However if I put the trans in neutral and push the jeep about 10 feet the relays start going nuts and I can then get the jeep running. After its up to temp I can shut it off and start it back up fine.

I'd really like to figure out whats wrong and get it fixed so I can wheel this winter.

First do all of the grounds, then post back up if the problem is still there.

The ASD relay and fuel pump relays receive power to them from the ignition switch. The triggering ground to energize the relays comes from the PCM. Bad grounds will give you bad Juju.

I agree with Joe. Grounds first, if that doesn't resolve then you can move onto other possibilities.

Info on grounds from cruiser54....
--------------------------------
Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea!

You can't just check or look at these grounds. You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. The one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall. Scrape the paint from the firewall. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support. Scrape the paint off first.

thanks guys looks like I've got a few little projects to work on. Still going to pick up a new PCM because I found one locally

Back