• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD/Trail build plan- Im looking for some input

cb0019

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 4dr with the 4.0, Auto, 4x4, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear, around 200k mi. I have decided that I am going to work towards getting this trail ready for next fall. I dont want to tackle the most gnarly obstacles, just want to cruise some trails and camp. So heres a list of plans i have as of now.

Engine:
Basically general maintenance. Tuneup, replace hoses, clean up wiring, replace seals- was going to rebuild but I dont have the room so I may rebuild the head. Or run it til it blows while i save for a crate motor
WilsonFabWorks.com- Electric fan conversion kit
PrecisionAutoInjectors.com- reman set of injectors Only $130!!
Homebrew style cowl air intake
I want to try and convert the AC compressor to onboard air
Probably just a cat-back exhaust for now because my stock header is in good shape, no cracks

Suspension/Tires:
I only want to run 31's, really no need to go bigger than that. I was thinking of going with a 2'' budget boost- I would love to go with the OME 2'' kit but the price tag is a little much.
Who makes a good BB?
I will almost certainly go with OME shocks because of the reviews I have read
I will trim the fenders to tuck the tires.
I LOVE the max tire/min lift look so maybe no lift?

AXLES/Drivetrain:
760 U-Joint upgrade
SYE
Other than that I know the 35 is the weak link but with better axle shafts will it hold up for what Im going to use it for?

Steering:
Initially I will just freshen up the stock parts, new bushings and such
I will upgrade to the beefier ZJ tierod ends

Random Upgrades:
Headlight harness upgrade
Full Energy Bushing kit
HDOffRoadEngineering.com Frame stiffener set

Spraying interior floor with the rustoleum bed liner (already did part of the rear floor and the stuff goes on nice and seems fairly tough. Plus touch ups are EASY with the spray cans!)

I know I missed a ton but I am constantly reading posts on this site and trying to learn as much as I can. Anything you guys could add would be greatly appreciated.

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/cb0019/?action=view&current=102.jpg
cb0019
102.jpg
cb0019

Heres a picture of it as it sits now

you wont need a sye till 3+ on an `88, and if it's as mild as you make it seem, you wont need the frame stiffeners either, also forget the energy bushing kit.

i know axle swaps seem like a lot of work, but just get an 8.25 rear end out of any cherokee that has matching gears (match AT's to AT, MT to MT, then double check the ratio with a physical check). it will bolt up, and you instantly dont have to worry about the 35, the 35 HAS TO GO. PERIOD.
everything else makes me think youve got the plan sorted out fine!

"Other than that I know the 35 is the weak link but with better axle shafts will it hold up for what Im going to use it for?"

upgrading the shafts won't really help.
cheap and easy solution... find a Chrysler 8 1/4 which can be found stock in many XJ's.

From what I have heard, the 35c is craptacular enough to be worth upgrading even with 31s. If you can find a 97+ with the 8.25 axle, it is more than enough to run 33s and can be fitted with disc brakes without too much trouble.

I don't think you can go too wrong with a 2" BB, as long as it doesn't have blocks or an AAL. Get a shackle & some spacers, call it a day. You can also use V8 ZJ coil springs for about 1.5" of lift & 10 bucks worth of rubber spring isolators to make it 2".

Other than that, your plan sounds solid.

Here is my build on my cheap XJ. It's my current DD and the only rig I own I will take offroad until my MJ is done. My CJ5 is TOO PURDY to get scratched up.

The only things I have left I want to do are bumpers, winch, and some nice 31's.

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=63313&highlight=ebeneezer

I pretty much bought and built this thing...including lift, axles, tires (well 30's...but they were free) and registered/titled this thing for around $1500 and it has proven to be (renix type of quirky) a reliable daily driver and I am sure it will be fairly capable offroad too...especially when I lock it.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for all the input. Lurking here has paid off a little!

043500-- Looks like a good start dude

What years should I look for the 8.25 in?

For a two inch lift a few of us have wed the HD leaf spring packs from quadratec to our existing mains. You don't have to fight the hanger bolts this way and the leaf packs are not much more expensive than an add-a-leaf. many have found that just adding AAL's results in springs that sag in a short time.

X2 on the recovery points. Overlooked a lot on the XJ, but when you get stuck, there's no where to hook a strap without tearing something up. this should be your first step.
After recovery points, look into skid plates(T-case and gas tank, front apron are JY parts)
Also look into a set of rocker guard/sliders.

Frame stiffeners aren't mandatory, but I'd go ahead and put them on. (that's just me.)

I've been reading that frame stiffeners improve handling on road as well as strengthening the vehicle for offroad. That would be a huge benefit to me. Especially since this thing will always drive itself to the trails

well i dont know if anyone on here told you but if your jeep is a 88 it should have the 35 bolt in not the c clip i believe can someone on here confirm that​

dude if you are only going to be running 31's and doing mild wheeling i wouldn't even bother with doing anything to the d35... no it's not the best but they aren't that bad... all the web wheelers just hype them up to make you think they will break just driving down the road... if you are really worried put some chromo shafts in and call it a day... also i wouldn't worry about the frame stiffeners either.... yes it will keep everything more rigid... but you probably won't need them

the recovery points and armor should be first then the bb, then some tires.... plan sounds good but don't waste your money on an axle swap, unless you want to wheel harder...

dude if you are only going to be running 31's and doing mild wheeling i wouldn't even bother with doing anything to the d35... no it's not the best but they aren't that bad... all the web wheelers just hype them up to make you think they will break just driving down the road... if you are really worried put some chromo shafts in and call it a day... also i wouldn't worry about the frame stiffeners either.... yes it will keep everything more rigid... but you probably won't need them

the recovery points and armor should be first then the bb, then some tires.... plan sounds good but don't waste your money on an axle swap, unless you want to wheel harder...
:bs: thats why I blew the axles seals in my d35 with 31's and driving it on the street nevermind offroad. Also Dana 35's have small drums= shitty brakes.

how many miles were on the axle, your talking about seals, not the actual shafts breaking... big difference

sure the brakes aren't the greatest, but he's going to be running 31's not a big jump in size. the stock brakes will be fine, it's not necessary to dump a bunch of money into it when what he wants to do the stock gear will work.

well i dont know if anyone else has had the same experience but honestly if its goingt= to be an open carrier i dont think that you will have a problem with the 35 cause i was running 35 toyo mts on my 35 with stock gearing for over a year without any mishaps at all and to be honest i wheeled the hell out of it but the catch is that i was locked in the front but not the back now im running a 44 cause i went with 488s and an ox

Back