• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Hatch Handle

97fordrunner

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. So New problem with the XJ. Was getting groceries the other night with the wife and opened the hatch to put them in and when we got home the handle felt normal but it wont open. I tried getting into the latch from the inside but not much room there. Any tips?:helpme:

Year is paramount importance here.

If 97-up, it's a common problem. You should be able to get in from inside and get it open. You'll then find that there's a little rod that connects the handle to the mechanism. It's adjustable, and you can shorten it a little to compensate for wear. Eventually, the pivots in the mechanism will wear enough to make even that fail, and you'll have either to replace it or operate on the latch to take up the slack in the pivots.

Lightly punch right on the bottom of the license plate as you try to open, works like a charm.

on my 2000 it has never worked right. Ive always had to push the hatch in then pull the handle, all in one fluid motion.

gonna try and adjust that rod now THANKS!

There was a TSB for this- that replaces the adjustment rod- I forget the details but I remember having the same issue.

Back