• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil conversion

mosescase

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what the advantage to doing a rear coil conversion was and how difficult of a conversion this is??? Thanks

lol i would almost agree but i wont.... just wanting the knowledge

The most pain free way to do it is to do a kit, like from Clayton offroad or Rock Krawler. Check out their sites, search write ups, etc. Whether it is worth it or not depends a lot on what kind of terrain you wheel, how you drive, and of course personal preference on...everything.
For my wheeling profile, it would not be worth the trouble. Leafs are good, too :clap:

lol i would almost agree but i wont.... just wanting the knowledge

Search, yes.

However, after you have started a thread, there is a dirty little secret on this forum--if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the thread you will see links to related threads.

I linked my full body XJ. Daily Driven, hits the freeway, rides MUCH better off road, more articulation, no more axle wrap, all home home brew, not an off the shelf kit. Will never own a leaf sprung rig again.
GOPR04481.jpg

Last edited:
X199J that set up looks nice. are they off the shelf frame tabs or did you make those (i'm) looking to do a rear link set up with air shocks myself here soon.

X199J that set up looks nice. are they off the shelf frame tabs or did you make those (i'm) looking to do a rear link set up with air shocks myself here soon.

Thanks, it's worked great so far. Tabs were cut out by a buddy on a water jet. The coil bucket mounts are Ballistic. Heims are ruffstuff. everything else is home brew.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the advantage to doing a rear coil conversion was and how difficult of a conversion this is??? Thanks

The advantages are that links will control the rear axle better than leaves, which shows up mostly on big climbs since better control of the axle means better grip. A good link setup is superior to leaf springs. However, a lousy rear link can work worse than a good leaf spring, so the comparison isn't perfect. Rear leaves can be made to work very well, and it's not easy to make a good rear link setup on a full bodied XJ. So, it is a fairly difficult conversion.

When folks talk about stuff like ride and handling and it being better with the links, it's virtually impossible to know how bad their leaves were before, and what their standards are regarding ride and handling. If you're going to investigate doing a conversion like this, you really need a lot of research to gain a thorough understanding of what is involved. You could go backwards and have a crappy handling car. Be very clear about what performance goals you have that the rear coils will accomplish for you, and build accordingly. Short of wanting a better climbing car on steep climbs (on a fairly hardcore rig), to me there's no way it's worth it, much cheaper and simpler to spend some money on a quality set of rear springs.

I think leafs out back are the best part of the XJ. I dont think there is any other solid axle vehicle out there with coils up front/ leafs out back.

Im not gonna be another one of the assholes who says search. If set up right it will give you great flex, and awesome traction. It is a very labor intensive mod though.

Back