• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch master cylinder replacement procedure

Rattle Trap

NAXJA Forum User
Need advice on how to replace clutch master cylinder on a 93 XJ. Doesn't look too involved but it is my first time doing it myself and may need some advice and tips on how to do this. This is the third one I am replacing so far. (Had mechanic do the last ones). For some reason they do not last long. I dont know where my mechanic got the last one but it did not even last 2 years. Where should I buy a replacement? The dealer wants $263 for an original Mopar part. Should I just go to a salvage yard and hope for the best or is there an after market replacement part that is just as good as the original? Any advice is appreciated.

NAPA, NEW, not reman, part No. NNC 350005 $45.49

Some places sell a brand called "Centrix," which seems to work all right, and looks to be pretty much a clone of the OEM.

If you are having repeated problems with these, make sure you check the pedal. The MC is actuated by an arm attached to the side of the pedal, and it's not uncommon for this to bend due to poor welding. Once that happens, it will push crookedly on the MC pushrod and wear it out quickly.

95jeeppedal.jpg

The one shown here is not bent, but where the left side arm attaches at the pivot is the weak spot.

Thank you for the advice. I just ordered a replacement from NAPA. It was a lot cheaper than going to the dealer and seems to be the exact same one. I checked the allignment of the arm on the pedal that pushes the MC rod and it seems to be OK I think. How much off would it have to be to cause a problem, and what it is the best way to check it?

I have a 92 have replaced mine twice in 4yrs got mine from Orellieys life time exchange I think it was under 50.00 I use cluch fluid in mine instead of brake fluid seems to work better

Thank you for the advice. I just ordered a replacement from NAPA. It was a lot cheaper than going to the dealer and seems to be the exact same one. I checked the allignment of the arm on the pedal that pushes the MC rod and it seems to be OK I think. How much off would it have to be to cause a problem, and what it is the best way to check it?
I think if you visually check it and find that the arms are parallel, you're fine, but I would fix it if it's off even a little bit, not only because of the misalignment, but because once it starts to bend it may continue. My son, when he had this problem, fixed the weld and it's behaved fine since.

Back