• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix idle?

toates89

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i just swapped over gauges from dummy to the other ones. SO So happy.

anywho so now that i know what my idle is for the first time it seems to be floating around 900 1000. its a 5speed.

i am going to go over my vacuum lines but i want to know if cleaning my iac will help out.

any links to a how to?

and will it lower my idle?

The IAC can only do so much for adjusting the idle speed. High idle is almost always caused by vacuum leaks.

Just for fun, some morning with the engine cold, snug up all your intake bolts. Then, using throttle body cleaner, spray suspected vacuum leak areas on the engine with it running. You'll know when you spray on a vac leak.

You should be getting 700-750 RPMs after 20 minutes of engine operation.

There is a tiny 3/32 allen head screw in the throttle body--PLEASE DON'T MOVE IT (unless we tell you to). It is NOT an idle adjustment screw, its sole function is to prevent damage to the alloy throttle body when the steel throttle plate closes. HOWEVER, Uncle Billy Bob gets around a lot and likes to play with it, so it may have been moved in the past.

The ECU controls the idle speed by sending extend/retract commands to the IAC--it is a stepper motor--and the movement of its pintle controls idle speed.

Now--here is a link for some interesting reading, but don't go off trying a bunch of things: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905849

As Cruiser54 said, a leaned out mixture gives you a fast idle. Intake leaks, exhaust leaks upstream of the o2 sensor, or funky sensor readings can lead to a high idle.

Good website for Renix sensor details: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm you should Bookmark it.

Anyway, chew on the info a bit and when you are ready post up.

Last edited:
just got it hot and rechecked the idle and it looks good.

i cant explain how happy i am to have a tach now. esp because its a 5speed

just got it hot and rechecked the idle and it looks good.

i cant explain how happy i am to have a tach now. esp because its a 5speed

Definitely, my Sport came with.

Back