• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual steering stabilizer set up question.

durtyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj on a 3.5 in lift,and I was given a Rough Country dual 2.2 stabilizer kit for a Jeep JK.I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on a xj with a dual set up.Has any one ever used a dual set up or is there a way I could possibly make this kit work?

Thanks,James

yeah, its nice to have for a DD to soften some things up, but ive been running no steering stabilizer on a jeep for over a year and i use mine for trails and DD duties...

I use it for trails but mostly DD, and some of our roads up here in Oregon are crap.I just installed 33' Toyo M/Ts and my steering just seems loose as hell.

You probably need to replace some TREs or balljoints... that's generally what loose steering feelings come from. Sometimes trackbar bushings or the trackbar itself (if you have the stock one with the built in TRE at the frame end.)

Replaced all the steering on my 91 MJ this spring and it went from having about 4 inches of play in the steering wheel to less than an inch.

A steering stabilizer will not tighten up your steering. I would make sure your track bar is tight on the frame side and axle side.

steering stabilizers serve no ACTUAL function in steering. it is not a neccessary part.

it IS a bandaid for whats wrong...

that "loose" feeling turns into "oh shit" once you remove the stabilizer.
a new, stiffer stabilizer doesnt fix problem (nor does multiple stabilizers), they just cover it up

get familiar with checking out your front end and how much movement is ok and how to test each individual part. you will save a lot of dough and frustration....
:thumbup:

steering stabilizers serve no ACTUAL function in steering. it is not a neccessary part.

it IS a bandaid for whats wrong...

that "loose" feeling turns into "oh shit" once you remove the stabilizer.
a new, stiffer stabilizer doesnt fix problem (nor does multiple stabilizers), they just cover it up

Completely agree. I've been running without the stabilizer for years. Stabilizers only mask problems - I'd rather solve the problem than mask it and have it come up time after time after time...

Been running without a stabilizer for a few years now. After getting most of the front end parts freshened up with new bushings and the such, it drives great.

A stabilizer would probably help when you hit mounds of snow while going down the road with fat tires, at least that's what I hope to accomplish when I do finally get mine back on. The factory one is shot and wont come out of the steering bar after I took the nut off. They should just pop out right? Even if they are threaded, that thing will not budge at all even when I do try to turn it.

They should just pop out right? Even if they are threaded, that thing will not budge at all even when I do try to turn it.
No it's a pressed fit. They are tapered. Heat the drag link around the bolt, hit it with some PB and smack it out with a jeep hammer. :thumbup:

The wider tires are gonna give ya more road steer regardless

Tried the heat and smack technique, didn't get me very far. I'll have to buy a bigger hammer. Then the stabilizer I'm putting on doesn't have that bolt in it, so I'll have to figure out how to get one for it/transfer the stock one to it.

My steering stabilizer is a hydro assist cylinder. :wave1:

Back