• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Xj shuttering/sputtering

Blue87

NAXJA Forum User
So basically my jeep is running solid however when I use certain throttle pressure/ cruise at highway speeds 55-65mph it seems to cut out rapidly or shutter/vibrate.. Here's what I've replaced so you can narrow down your suggestions.. Rear shaft ujoints, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs wires cap and rotor. I have 4.0 6 cyl auto trans any help would be awesome this is really aggrivating Thnx

Hows the throttle position sensor? Also have you touched the distributor alignment at all? A miss fire can cause pulsing, banging (more like surging) or other odd problems. A lot of times miss fires happen under light load or cruising conditions and not acceleration. RENIX or 87 to 90 Jeeps have some distributor problems that cause it to do all kinds of odd things when you drive it. Is it ONLY at that speed or does the problem come and go in any way? If you accelerate past that throttle pressure does it go away before much speed is gained?

You described it pretty much to the note. ex: if I hold lite throttle at 55 mph it will shutter. Or as you described surge or pulse if I increase throttle pressure and gain speed the issue disperses how ever if I return to lite/ cruising throttle pressure it will continue shuttering ... It also stops if I completely release the throttle

I agree with Alex. Throttle position sensor. Test it. You will need a manual with the procedure and a meter (analog best). Also know that the TPS on yours IS adjustable and it is important so be sure that adjustment is correct

If you have a "flat spot" or a bad spot on the TPS, that can create the symptom in a narrow speed range as you describe.

Will the hanes manual layout the adjustment process?

HA, HA, HA! Or, seasonally corrected--HO, HO, HO!! Haynes & Chilton = outhouse TP.

Here for everything you need to know about Renix sensors: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

Bookmark that website.

You can get a Factory Service Manual for your XJ on CD for about twice the cost of a Haynes/Chilton at Bishko, and they are complete licensed copies: http://www.autobooksbishko.com/search.cgi?year=1987&make=Jeep&category=Shop+Manual

You want a manual, think Bishko. You want something for your butt--think Haynes!! (underwear, TP--get it?)

I think you guys narrowed it down for me I've done some further research and found lots of xj owners having this issue because of tps. Imna bust out my multimeter and run that process and c what happens if worst comes to worse a new tps is $50 at my local autoparts store. Thnx fellas I'll post my results

I think you guys narrowed it down for me I've done some further research and found lots of xj owners having this issue because of tps. Imna bust out my multimeter and run that process and c what happens if worst comes to worse a new tps is $50 at my local autoparts store. Thnx fellas I'll post my results

Please do post back. Always good to hear the resolve. Learn something every day.........

Don't forget about the importance of ADJUSTMENT on your TPS. It is often overlooked and shouldn't be.

Yeah I definitely will ... Your so right about the tps. I see now how that can cause this problem. But if someone wouldn't have mentioned it I never woudve thought to check

Also I wanted to ask under everyday driving conditions.. What should my Volts Gauge be reading. It seems to me to be a little high it floats around the big notch above 14. Is this normal or high?

Also I wanted to ask under everyday driving conditions.. What should my Volts Gauge be reading. It seems to me to be a little high it floats around the big notch above 14. Is this normal or high?

I believe the target is 13.8 with a fully charged battery.

You could verify this with a multimeter connected to both the pos. and neg. terminals of the battery. Your gauge may have a bit of inaccuracy.

Renix gauges, especially the volt meter are notorious liars. Check the voltage at the battery, ignore the dash gauge, unless the head lights flicker, engine rpm drops, and the meter says 8 volts! I use the dash gauge as a reference only.

Normal charge can range from 13.0 to 15.3 volts, and it is effected by the ambient temperature.

My 90 dash gauge reads a little over 14 even with the headlights on, drops a little with the blower running.

And my dash gauge reads higher than the voltage when checked directly between the posts except when the headlights, blower, and wipers are all running, then the dash gauge will read lower than the battery.

BTW--don't confuse AMPS with VOLTS. If you want to know amps you will have to install an aftermarket gauge for it.

So just to let all of you know I feel very dumb and noobish now.. So the other day in about to test the tps and i figure I'll to one last check over everything to narrow it down one more final time so i check the battery nice and tight no problems there i check the plugs and wires.... And while doing so I bump the distributor coming to the realization that it's so loose I couldve pulled it off like a Lego so I tightened the 1/2 inch bolt
Underneath and went for for a drive. And vua la!!!! No more shuttering or any problems at all for that matter... Moral of the story check your bolts
After your friend takes off your distributor . Thanks fellas for all your input ! Happy wheelin!

Back