• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a good engine rebuild kit.

cb0019

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to know where to look for a quality rebuild kit for an 88 4.0. I found one at Flatlander Racing http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsamc.html

I want to try and rebuild it myself but space is non existant. Is it possible to rebuild it while its still in the truck? Are their any upgrades that should be done while its apart?

This would be my first time doing a rebuild but I am no stranger to turning wrenches. Any input you guys have would be very welcome.

To me a rebuild means boring the block and turning the crank. Can't figure out how to do that when it is still in the truck.

You might be better off buying a low-mileage engine and just swapping it in.

It doesn't take a professional with a shop full of tools to rebuild an engine, neither is it a job for a novice in the driveway. As old_man stated, a rebuild isn't going to happen with the block in the vehicle. The best you could do is have the head done, replace the piston rings and the rod and main bearings, along with a new HV oil pump--long way from a rebuild.

I mean its not that hard to pull a 4.0 in theory. I have never done it, but I have read a bunch about doing it. I feel like renewing a stock 4.0 would be pretty easy, and pretty fun.

If you have a good block and head, $550 for a rebuild kit is way worth it. However, I always thought the 4.0 pistons good be reused with new rings? Guess it depends on how many miles you have on them.

But I would think just replacing all the bearings, gaskets, piston rings, and hardwear with high quality parts will really bring a 4.0 back to life. Also, if the cylinder walls are is decent shape, I think a simple hone job would be fine.

I'm fixing to do my first "garage" rebuild as well. A backyard mechanic buddy of mine said it could be done in the truck. I consider the source. Mine is an 'ol off-road beater that doesn't see 1,000 miles a year, 90% of that off-road. The '89 4.0 has 238,000 miles and has blow-by oil showing on the air filter, but she doesn't smoke.
I prefer to pull the engine for ease of maintenance. It's alot easier putting in the rear main seal,rod bearings, etc. when it's on an engine stand.
With all being said and done a reputable remanufactured engine may be worth the money. I'm still counting the cost.

New member here. :) And new Jeep owner (’89 Pioneer). My Jeep came to me with all kinds of driveline issues and a well-abused hitch receiver on the back, so I’ve also been looking into rebuilding the 6 sometime in the future. I haven’t had the rig long enough to do a leakdown, but it’s sort of a moot point at the moment because I bought it with a blown head gasket.

I agree with doing a simple engine swap if you can. Personally I plan on buying a core engine, building it, and swapping it into the Jeep. This way I still have the Jeep driveable, and of course a mule for trips to the machine shop. :)

Anyhoo.

In my experience, it is not feasible to do an in-car rebuild. This is how I attempted my first build and it was a disaster. And it was a lot of climbing around the car and other assorted time-wasters.

There are engines designed for in-chassis rebuilds, but this is not one of them. If space is a concern, which it is for most of us probably, if you have space to keep the Jeep parked for a few weeks then you probably have space to rebuild the engine. It just requires more improvisation. Not to mention, most of the time the engine is out of the chassis it will be at a machine shop.

I have not rebuild a 4.0L Jeep, but I have rebuilt 30+ Honda engines and a few dozen from a few Japanese and German makes. I have done a lot of flow work, blueprinting, and examined a lot of blown engines. ASSuming this knowledge carries over to the Jeep, this is how I will do it:

Master rebuild kit, preferably with forged pistons. (It’s not a strength thing, it’s a heat thing. Forged pistons move heat more quickly than cast, so they can take more of a thermal as well as mechanical beating.)

Cylinders will be overbored as little as the condition of the bores will allow. I suspect 0.010” over shall do, but haven’t seen pistons smaller than 0.020” over. Shouldn’t be a problem either way.

Not going to turn the crank journals down. This weakens them unnecessarily, and they shouldn’t be scored that deep anyway. Polish only. However, my experience is 100% in nitrided forged steel cranks. A stock Honda crank is happy at 1,000 hp. I’m very curious to see what the Jeep crank looks like.

Still researching the rods – would strongly prefer an aftermarket rod with separate cap bolts. Several reasons for this. One of them is cost – prepping stock rods can cost nearly as much as a set of new performance rods. Also, if the stock rods use pressed-in wrist pins, they won’t be compatible with a forged piston. It’s “possible” to convert a pressed-pin rod to use a floating pin but it’s a pain in the butt to machine the rod this way.

For the head, I plan on doing a pocket port and using new stock INTAKE valves and aftermarket stainless EXHAUST valves. Why? In a word: Flow. I have never once seen an off-the-shelf aftermarket valve flow better than a stock valve. Stock intake valves tend to be a two-piece affair (stainless head welded to carbon steel stem, then ground and polished). Fine. They do this for wear characteristics. Flow is less of a concern on the exhaust side, and stainless valves will have a higher heat handling capacity before they burn. Just a safety measure for pounding hard on sandy Mojave trails.

Then I plan on boring/reaming out the stock valve guides and pressing in new bronze guides. Just a wear issue. If you cannot or will not use bronze guides, skip the full stainless valves and stick with stock. The stainless valves are not really compatible with stock iron valve guides (wear issue). I’ll cut the valve seats cut to stock angles, then shim springs to correct installed height. Then surface the head so the deck is true to the datum point.

As for block machining, I will probably draw the line at surfacing the deck true to datum, and of course boring/honing the cylinders. In my experience line-honing the main caps doesn’t really help you with anything (they’re always true).

I haven’t selected a camshaft yet; need to do more research. If you plan on swapping to a non-stock cam I would consider mock-assembling the engine to measure piston-to-valve clearance before final assembly. This step adds a few hours to the job but in my opinion is well worth it.

Depending on piston-to-valve I may deck the engine further to reach .045” piston-to-head clearance. There are reasons for this…. Anybody care to add to this thread with reasons why?? ;-)

Take my advise, having done multiple 4.0s. I'm also an ASE tech and have been working on cars for 10 years. Save you self the head ache and buy a crate engine OR go to a GOOD machine shop. If the machine shop is willing to give you at least a one year warranty with reasonable mileage I'd consider them. I need to look but I found 4.0 engines in a magazine with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty for 1,600 bucks. I got a Pick N Pull engine, had the head completely redone for 215 bucks and then had a shop do the bottom end, .020 over with new pistons and obviously all new bearings, freeze plugs, the whole 9 yards. That ran me about another thousand bucks or so plus I paid 199 for the 95 4.0 I pulled at the yard. All in all with my time and money spent I'd say its not worth it. Its easier to have a complete engine, take all your old stuff off, clean it, swap it over and drop in the new engine. Less down time on the Jeep and its just less of a hassle. For 1,600 bucks you can't beat the warranties these companies give out. Some times having a local machine shop refresh the entire engine costs more then buying a crate engine. If you get a low mileage junk yard engine that could be the way also. Hell you can get them from probably 150-300 bucks. You can never REALLY tell how good or bad a junk yard engine is BUT if you take a look at the oil pan and valve train it may show some sign of regular oils or not. Just look for something clean, one that has a smooth turning crank and even pull the plugs to make sure they don't have anything wrong with them. Obviously they wont tell you too much but if one is smashed or 5 look great and one is covered in oil maybe pass up that engine. Its a 4.0 though, you can't really go wrong. Maybe pull the water pump or freeze plugs and make sure its not rotten as hell. I'm sure there are some pretty good engines out there just waiting to be used. Anyway I'll get off my soap box, I just wish I did a crate engine but that's another story for tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies. I would love to buy a crate engine but the way shit is going right now it would take me a year and half to save up $1600. Took me a while to get the $1200 for the cherokee! Lots of good info here though.

I found it, http://atk-engines.com/ last I saw it was 1600 for a complete engine with free shipping on the engine and the core, 3 year unlimited mile warranty. I havent run one of these engines but next time I need one I'll be sure to at least check them out. Seems a little cheap or too good to be true but the warranty should speak for its self.

I found it, http://atk-engines.com/ last I saw it was 1600 for a complete engine with free shipping on the engine and the core, 3 year unlimited mile warranty. I havent run one of these engines but next time I need one I'll be sure to at least check them out. Seems a little cheap or too good to be true but the warranty should speak for its self.

We had an engine from ATK in the racer. I wouldn't spend money on another. We had one of their custom engines and it was such a mess I couldn't imagine what their high production stuff would look like.

Back