• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Fluid

The transfer case is far less sensitive to the type of fluid used than the AW4 is, but ultimately you'll want to either use ATF-4 or Dex/Merc III as suggested by souske. Many prefer to use Dex/Merc III since it's what it was filled with from the factory, and is what you likely (read: should) be using in your transmission... Some fear cross-contamination between the T-case and transmission, and prefer to use the same fluid in both.

That being said, I'm running ATF-4 in mine, whilst still running Dex/Merc III in my transmission. The transfer case is extremely simple and doesn't have any components that are sensitive to the use of ATF-4, so you can feel free to use either.

Dex III is fine with me. I'm going to service my AW4 next so I can just get all the same then.

Matching the fluid just makes plain good sense.

FYI--there are no clutches, brakes, or hydraulic valve bodies in the transfer case--you COULD, in a pinch, use any ATF fluid.

Back