• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start......then fine

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced starter with random junkyard ZJ one and it's worked flawless for 4 days. Now I'm getting no response when I turn the key to the ON position. The only thing I hear is the clicking of the relays that remove power to all the interior accessories when turning over motor. Multiple attempts does nothing. Then without doing anything and just trying again it starts right up immediately.

Battery-good, Wires are 4ga (battery-starter,battery-motor, and battery-main fuse box.

Seems something electrical is wrong for the starter to just do nothing then start a few seconds after holding the key or a few minutes later after touching nothing. I've got just 2 days left in the Navy before I'm a normal Joe and I need to drive across the channel to make it to Bangor from Everett to complete my transition. I've been lucky that every time I've been stuck at my apartment but I'm playing with fire since I'm taking the ferry there and back and don't want my Jeep being dead on the ferry. :-(

Last edited:
First rule of fight club--never talk about fight club.

First rule of NAXJA--always post the BASICS--year, engine, transmission, etc.

If you have an auto, try shifting through the gears and back into either PARK or NEUTRAL to see if that makes a difference.

The NUMBAH ONE cause of no crank in an XJ with the AW4 is the NSS--neutral safety switch.

DIY NSS service at JP Magazine: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

Thank you for your service.

Always go back to the last thing you tired to fubar. Check and tighten all the wires and wire connections at the battery, starter, and alternator. Clicking and not starting is either a loose connections or a battery that is low on voltage.

Whew....seems putting it in neutral allows it to start right up. Not a fix but it'll get me to work until I can clean it. Thanks Joe_peters.

Sorry, newb mistake. 2001 Sport, AW4, 4.0L

Back