• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracking radiators

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
so about every year i have cracked a radiator, i have a factory replacement, with plastic tanks and alum. center, it keeps separating between the plastic and the alum.

i bought it about 4 years ago locally for 140 with lifetime warranty, and ihave replaced it about 6 times i think.

has anyone ever cracked a CSF alum. radiator, i was thinking about the 2 row CSF all aluminum for 142.50

is radiator barn the only/best place to get it?

Check carefully to ensure that there isn't some sort of installation issue where something is rubbing on the radiator. Replacing any radiator that many times does raise a flag here.

If you are sure installation is clean, then obviously it is time to switch brands of radiators!

What brand is it that is cracking? Some of the $100 ones aren't too hardy.

radiatorbarn is a good source for all metal radiators; 2 or 3 row.

Do the radiators keep cracking in the exact same place each time? I have put 2 radiators in my 95 in the last 9 years. The last one, an alum one, leaks between the core and the plastic tank on the right. My problem is a slightly bent frame rail on the right front causing a slight twist on the radiator. I know what to do to fix it but lack the funds and down time.

I'd never put a plastic/aluminum radiator in one of my Jeeps. Just the interface from metal to plastic has got to be inherintly weak...and if you keep cracking them it makes it even more obvious.

Get an all metal radiator. Nuff said.

Could blame it on cheap-a** China/India parts, but even bad luck should have accounted for one of those radiators lasting longer than that.

Look deeper--like cracked unibody flexing.

Do you still have the rubber bushings on the two pegs at the bottom of the radiator? If you are missing one, the radiator can flap around and flex a bit in use.

i did realize it has been more like 6 radiators, i do have the rubber bushings in the lower support, and i have the rubber blocks in the upper part.
i modified the upper blocks a little to see if it will help
i think the radiator was too compressed and had no room to move, now it should have a little but not too much, if that doesn't work, i can just get new rubber blocks from the junkyard.
if it breaks again i will probably get one from radiator barn

i agree there must be something wrong, but i dont know where to look...
the mounts are in good shape...

they all break in the same spot, passenger side. i assume it is where the plastic meets the aluminum, but you can never see the leak, just steam, or a slow drip at the bottom.

Back