• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach stopped working after wet weather

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
Was having trouble finding this in my chilton's manual, after some wet weather my tachometer has pretty much stopped working, accept for every once and a while it clicks on for a minute or two. Checked all connections behind dash and everything appears dry and secure. I assume the sensor for the tach has gotten wet or grounded or something? Where do I start to fix the problem.

Thanks

I believe the tach gets its signal from the PCM. I'd check that there's not moisture buildup on the connectors at that end, and if not there, you'll have to work your way up the harness. I had a similar problem a couple of times in really wet weather with my 95, and found that the sealing at the connector was not very good. The connections are different in a 96, I think, but on the older ones, it just happens that the tach pin is near the bottom, where it's likeliest to get wet.

I think the 96 has the same layout as the later models, but I can't find a specific pin for tach in the 99 factory service manual, whose wiring diagrams are a shambles, difficult to read and lacking a good deal of information altogether. I suppose no information is better than wrong information, which is present in both the 95 and 96 FSM's (Hint to 96 owners: if you ever replace your radio, check the wiring with a meter, don't trust the FSM pinouts!).

The tach gets its signal from the PCM via the CPS sensor... the CPS sensor is 100% required for the engine to run so you know that the problem is not between the CPS and the PCM. Check the wiring from the PCM to the instrument panel.

On 97 and later there is not going to be a specific pin for the tach signal on the ECU because they send all the gauge signals via the CCD bus, and the IP picks all the gauge signals up via it.

The tach gets its signal from the PCM via the CPS sensor... the CPS sensor is 100% required for the engine to run so you know that the problem is not between the CPS and the PCM. Check the wiring from the PCM to the instrument panel.

On 97 and later there is not going to be a specific pin for the tach signal on the ECU because they send all the gauge signals via the CCD bus, and the IP picks all the gauge signals up via it.
Thanks for the clarification on that. It's comforting to know that the reason I can't find the wire is because it isn't there in the first place.

I think im just going to run through the whole harness and do a little corrosion control and prevention. since it has dried out, the tach has started to work again... I'd still like to fix the underlying problem though. Thanks for the info!

mine did the same thing last time i went off-road. Freaked me out. As soon as it dried out it started working again though. It's probably water in the CPS connection on drivers side of the engine, or in the actual CPS itself. Hit the connector with some gobs of dielectric grease and you should be good.

mine did the same thing last time i went off-road. Freaked me out. As soon as it dried out it started working again though. It's probably water in the CPS connection on drivers side of the engine, or in the actual CPS itself. Hit the connector with some gobs of dielectric grease and you should be good.

Ummm, nope... went over this a couple posts ago, if it was the CPS the engine would stop running (the CPS signal is critical to the ignition system.) It has to be the VSS wiring. Or ECU to tach gauge wire.

Back