• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing pinion shaft yoke

true2blue92

NAXJA Forum User
A bolt head broke off while reinstalling my front driveshaft after replacing the u joints. I tried removing it with an easy out with no luck. Instead of drilling it out and re tapping it I figured I could just use the one off my parts jeep. Same axle and everything. Can anyone give me a detailed walkthrough on how to do this? I've searched and couldn't find much. Am I required to remove and replace the seal if I take it off? And do I have to drain the fluid before I do so? Never done it before just getting some advice first.

Thanks

89 XJ, 4.0, Np242, Auto

Unbolt pinion nut, swap yokes, torque NEW pinion nut to correct torque (~210 ft/lbs IIRC), down. Its a good idea to also do the seal while youre in there, but not required.

Ok thanks. Didn't realize it was that simple. I shall give it a try.

The not so simple part for most people if applying enough of torque to get the nut on/off. I like to put a pipe wrench on the yoke and wedge it against the control arm, then just torque away. Then again, I turn green and can unbolt it with just a 18" breaker bar. You might need a longer pipe or something over the breaker bar to get it off.

Then again, I turn green and can unbolt it with just a 18" breaker bar. You might need a longer pipe or something over the breaker bar to get it off.
so can I, it's not that hard :dunno: tough to do when the axle is just sitting on the ground, I have to put a pipe wrench on the yoke then.

Fitting a darn torque wrench under the vehicle and having enough space to swing it around is the most annoying part of setting the torque properly.

Air tools make it really easy to remove. I don't worry too much about using a new nut and just use locktite. No need to drain anything. I would suggest replacing the seal while you've got it apart. Check the u-joints for slop or tightness while you're there as well.

Well after attempting for about a hour in the rain I got sick of it. I just couldn't get enough room to get the proper amount of leverage. And then after getting the one off I would have to get the other one off the part jeep. So I just took it into a local driveline shop and they charged me $50 to remove it and put a new one in. No more hassle for me and I finally have my 4wd back!!! Ha. Thanks for the help

Back