• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't Start

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
Cherokee 1997, 4.0 Auto

So I drove up the into the foothills last night and all was well.
Did a little shopping for a couple of hours, get back in the Heep and crank it over and over and over, No start.
Do some checking and no spark from the coil, needless to say I had to strap tow it home today 45 miles
frown.gif

I checked all Fuses I could find and all wiring, all looks well.
Any Idea's on what to check now ?

Also the last few time I drove it, a few times when I would take off from a stop and give it alittle extra gas it would stall out, let off the gas and then it would take off again, did this about 4 times in the last 3 times I drove it. Fuel delivery is fine,
but I have no spark from the coil.

Spark: 12 volts from ignition switch to the ASD relay; when the key is first turned on the PCM provides a ground to the ASD relay to energize it, then the ASD relay passes 12 volts to the coil primary side. If no crank sensor signal is generated after a couple of seconds the PCM cuts the ground to the ASD relay (and fuel pump relay too) and that cuts power to the coil (and fuel pump). Key to START and once again the PCM energizes the ASD relay. Now, a critical element is the crank sensor--no signal from the crank sensor and the PCM won't trigger the coil to provide spark.

So, first thing is unplug/plug the crank sensor connector three or four times to renew the connection. If that doesn't work, then use an ohm meter to measure the crank sensor resistance--should be infinite on your year. Search for Tim_MN's posts on the crank sensor, he covers it very well.

Ok, if the crank sensor is good, then you need to test for 12 volts to the coil primary side to see if the ASD relay is doing its job--or you could shortcut and swap the a/c or o2 heater relay into the ASD position and see if that gets you spark.

I looked at Tims write up, but my plug does not look like that one, so not sure what two leads to test. Also by infinate does that mean zero reading,
I'm using a digital meter.
A & C read Zero, and either AB or BC reads 000.2 Ohm's the other reads Zero

I do get a code 11 on the dash.
One source says Crank postion sensor and another says Cam position sensor.
Is there a way to test the Cam sensor ?

yea you guys dont make any sence but i know my cherokee acts up around random left turns, witrh the whole looses all power and if i take my foot off the gas it will take off again after returning pressure. thought it was a transmission problem, because i thought it wasnt shifting, and got scammed out of 3500 bucks so i know its not that lol

Yes, camshaft position sensor can be tested.

However, usually (not always), the crank sensor is more often associated with no-spark.

But I have seen a cam sensor fail in a way that creates a no-spark condition.

As the "11" is associated with the cam sensor, I would test it.

If that test passes, I would replace the crank sensor.

Back