• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new ignition switch doesnt fit

ak95xj

NAXJA Forum User
I had an ignition switch electrical problem..Got a new switch from autozone (a duralast brand) The flag part of the switch wouldnt even fit into the steering column at first...Checked with a micrometer and the dimensions for the metal flag part that sticks out were slightly off from the factory switch ..So I ground the flag down until I could fit the switch in and then ground some more until i could finally get the key to turn..So I am wondering if there is something in there I can adjust, or if I just bought a piece of crap..

edit i didnt get the wrong switch , they looked the same to the eye but the new switches flag was off by "a hair" when checked with a miicrometer...the key cylinder was fine before all of this

Last edited:
I had an ignition switch electrical problem..Got a new switch from autozone (a duralast brand) The flag part of the switch wouldnt even fit into the steering column at first...Checked with a micrometer and the dimensions for the metal flag part that sticks out were slightly off from the factory switch ..So I ground the flag down until I could fit the switch in and then ground some more until i could finally get the key to turn..So I am wondering if there is something in there I can adjust, or if I just bought a piece of crap..

edit i didnt get the wrong switch , they looked the same to the eye but the new switches flag was off by "a hair" when checked with a miicrometer...the key cylinder was fine before all of this

Question ASKED and ANSWERED. China/India parts--enough said.

On the very few occasions where I attempted to get a vehicle specific part from Autozone, they have failed to fit. did not matter if it was a Jeep part, one for my Wife's Bronco or the Kid's Subi. Did not fit...

What I find interesting is that the part finder (computer) is wrong and they show no sign of correcting it. Even the fan clutch for the XJ was wrong. What they stock is the HD unit from a ZJ that will not fit.

So, I use NAPA. Pay the price and get a part that actually fits the vehicle in question.

Back