• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 vs 242 linkage

1997-2001, they are the same.

The 2000 parts catalog shows a number of different parts between the two t/case shifter setups.

I have re-adjusted 231 linkage on my 242 right now in my 1995. I did have to swap some parts around since I have a 5spd and needed the shorter rod for it. I still have a 231 gate on the shifter too.

I have re-adjusted 231 linkage on my 242 right now in my 1995. I did have to swap some parts around since I have a 5spd and needed the shorter rod for it. I still have a 231 gate on the shifter too.

The gates are different though, aren't they?

The gates are different though, aren't they?

Yeah I believe so, IIRC the difference is that with the 231 gate in there now, I have to move the shifter handle to the right to clear the gate piece to get into full time. With a 242 gate, the handle goes straight back all the way to full time, then moves over to get into N and 4L.

Ah, so not really necessary in the swap, just nice.

Nope, you just have to be aware when shifting it, Ive missed and gone all the way back into N. Youre supposed to be able to shift the 242 on the fly, so far I only shift it stopped. Id like to get the correct gate so I can slam it into gear while driving and not worry about missing the appropriate range.

My experience with a 242 during the winter has been quite extensive. my ZJ didn't shift on-the-fly too well until I started "feeling" where it was shifting to. Using my hand to sort of hold the shifter with some pressure against what felt to me like a stop, I would do the shift and hold the pressure and then decelerate just a little until I actually felt the "hard click/light thud" of the shift in my hand. I knew it was "IN" as soon as I accelerated a little again. Try it and you should be able to feel what I am describing.
242s do rule!

If you are putting a 242 in a 4.0L, AW-4, 231 Cherokee, the T-case shifter mechanism is the same. The 242 shift gate has an extra slot/gate for the Full-Time mode.

There are some different parts available on the factory parts list for the 231 because is was used with both auto and manual trans and with the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder motors.

The 242 was only used with the AW-4/4.0 combination so it has fewer parts shown on the factory parts list.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
As I just did this- I believe the only difference is the shift gate- and the lever off the side of the transfer case housing

If your T-case swap uses a replacement T-case with the same output shaft style, the drive shafts are the same. ie, original external output T-case and replacement external output T-case. The 231 and 242 are the same length. The case is slightly larger overall on the 242.

1997-2001 the lever on the side of the T-case housing is identical.

I recently helped one of the local XJ owners swap in a 231 to replace a broken 242. We re-used the 4x4 linkage as is.

Last edited:
If your T-case swap uses a replacement T-case with the same output shaft style, the drive shafts are the same. ie, original external output T-case and replacement external output T-case. The 231 and 242 are the same length. The case is slightly larger overall on the 242.

1997-2001 the lever on the side of the T-case housing is identical.

I recently helped one of the local XJ owners swap in a 231 to replace a broken 242. We re-used the 4x4 linkage as is.

Thanks, I wasn't able to verify if there was a difference in drive shafts between 231 and 242 equipped XJs.

Back