• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver side axle shaft help!!

Sig Ep Mock

NAXJA Forum User
OK 92 xj HP dana 30. Swapping out the stock axle shafts with chromoly shafts and can't get the driver side inner axle shaft out. Passenger side came out no problem but driver's side doesn't even feel like it wants to budge.

I've searched and can't find any ideas....I do have a front locker, detroit I believe but I'm not 100% sure. Here's a pick of the locker and the front shaft.

So is there something holding it in or did I jamb/break something when the u joints let go and ate the axle shafts? Before I go crazy with a slide hammer and BFH is there something I'm missing?

Any thoughts?

THanks,

Chris

IMG00080-20101219-1231.jpg IMG00081-20101219-1232.jpg

Well I'm going to try the slide hammer and see what I get. Just wanted to make sure there wans't a clip in the locker holding it in.

OK welded an old bracket I had to what was left of the ears on the axle shaft. Before I start pulling with the slide hammer I want to make sure there isn't a lock ring or c clip or something in the locker. It looks like a true trac limited slip. I looked up the owner's manual and it refers you back to the stock axels installation procedures.

Anybody an expert on the True trac? Anything holding the axle in?

IMG00082-20101219-1339.jpg

OK welded an old bracket I had to what was left of the ears on the axle shaft. Before I start pulling with the slide hammer I want to make sure there isn't a lock ring or c clip or something in the locker. It looks like a true trac limited slip. I looked up the owner's manual and it refers you back to the stock axels installation procedures.

Anybody an expert on the True trac? Anything holding the axle in?
nothing holding anything in with a trutrac just hammer way gently

ok a couple of good hits with the slide hammer and it came out. Now the fun hoping the new one goes in :confused:

That is a true trac in the front of that jeep, and there should be nothing holding the shaft in the diff unless the front housing is possibly bent. The shaft should just slide right out, and the new slide right in with no issue..

Thanks for all the help guys. the new axle went right in, no binding at all. Looks like the old shaft got twisted just slightly (see pic) and then when the u joint went boom, the ears hit each other and jambed the axle into the diff just a little, enough to wedge the axle shaft in there. A few good tugs with teh slide hammer was enough to pop it out. I inspected the diff side of the splines and didn't see any visible damage to the true trac.

Thanks again for all the help and as always a learning experience for me. Also a blessing in disguise too as I wasn't going to pull the diff cover but I'm glad I did the oil was pretty nasty and slightly rust colored. Now it has fresh clean gear oil in it :)

Chris

IMG00083-20101219-1528.jpg

Hey Chris, just saw I missed a call from you.. I am assuming this is what it was about?? Glad it went all ez pz!

Hey Chris, just saw I missed a call from you.. I am assuming this is what it was about?? Glad it went all ez pz!

Yeah I was getting desperate for a minute there :) Thanks Tony.

Also have to say thanks to Robert for answering his phone on a Sunday to help a customer out. Thanks Robert the axles fit perfect, fit and finish is good. Can't wait to try them out over new years trip.

Chris

Back