• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with JKS quick disconnects

whoozey1953

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing JKS quick disconnects on my '01 XJ, and the lower bolt on the axle appears to be splined like a wheel stud, but it also has a torx head on it. Is it a bolt, or a stud? Any ideas on how to easily remove it?

TIA

Chris

I found the easiest thing was to use a puller. The little three side wheel puller from Autozone worked great. Took about two minutes.

DON'T USE A BFH!!!
Creatons!! Use a #5 stud removing tool. This tool has many uses, and sometimes the lower forms call them BFHs. But those of us who are 'in the know' would never stoop so low!!
BTW these tools come in many sizes and shapes. Some call them 'attitude adjusting devices' or 'location modification devices'
I have used mine, at times as 'cat location modifiers' and even once as a 'petulant can access device'....but never would I stoop so low as to call it a BFH!! :D
Rick

Don't forget the all-important "percussive maintenance calibration tool" as well...

Berz o matic Propane torch and a hammer work well for us every time ;)

Trevorxj said:
I found the easiest thing was to use a puller. The little three side wheel puller from Autozone worked great. Took about two minutes.
I also used a puller for mine. It seemed to work fast and easy.

Carefull not to bend nor break the bracket it's in! I have been pounding on mine and it didn't wanna budge so I drilled it out from the head end..... I used a bit that was big enough to make a difference but smaller then the hole.... :)

Btw, quite a few folks that recommended to me the #5 stud removal tool had older XJ's which didn't have that bolt mounted as securely as the newers ones do....

Kejtar

Thanks to you all...I ended up cutting off the (useless!) torx head with a rock wheel, then used a bullet nose on my air chisel to drive it all the way through. What a PITA!

Chris

:doh:

Went wheeling today with my new disconnects. They really make a big difference! I wish I had put them on a long time ago. No locker in the front, but today I never lifted a wheel. Trails I used to have to romp up I just drove up easily today. Well worth the $$$.

:cool:

Back