• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extending Brake Lines

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I agree I should not have to make this a thread topic but I could not find the reference thread I was searching for and it appears I did not save it as I thought I did when I used it in the past.

I built my wife's 97 Xj with 2.5"-3" of lift and found a post here for Ford (?) front and rear brake lines. I am fairly certain the post was for Ford brake lines not another OEM. Does anyone know which part numbers or what vehicle and model year I am referring to?

Rick

YJ Wrangler F and R soft lines are +3" longer. Some Chevy pickup and Dodge Durango front lines are 4-6" longer.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do recall the Yj lines but I only recall the length's Tim cites not the (+1"). I think this is what caused me to look for slightly longer lines.

I'll call NAPA and see if they can offer any insight because this is where I purchased the longer hoses.

Rick

I think I located the post(s) I was referring to. However, you must use the full (i.e., non-condensed) version of the junkyard upgrade thread for Xj's found here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66012

However, the information I suspect is that which I was referring to in my initial post is located in the reply by "troy6187" currently at the bottom of page 9. I am copying it here for clarification as well as amplification of the message so this gets out properly.

Chevy truck brake lines in the front and Dakota line for the rear. More than enough for 6in.

Next, at present in this original junkyard upgrade is the final post listed by "RedZeppelinXj" which is also copied here for the same two reasons.

i made the same kind of a thread over on jeepforum.....here is the list we compiled

Suspension & Lift:
1. ZJ V8 Upcountry Coils = 1-1.5" lift
2. F-150/Bronco Coils ('70s-ish) = 4-4.5" lift
3. S10 (P/U or Blazer) leaf packs (cut eyes off S10 main and bolt pack under XJ main) = 3-4" lift (may require use of degree shims)
4. Dakota Bastard Pack (do same as with S10 pack) = ~4" lift
5. JK shocks = slight mod to fit 2-4" lift (some dispute)
6. MJ Shackles = 1/2" lift
7. Camaro Spring Isolators = 1.5" lift
8. Full size Blazer Bastard Pack (do same as S10 pack) = 4-4.5" lift (may require use of shims) may be stiffer than S10 leafs
9. ZJ spring isolators = stronger, metal core, can be stacked
10. GM fullsize pickup shackles ('95-99) = 1.5" lift, better shackle angle
11. Thunderbird Front Coils ('83-97) = 3-4" lift (varies in lift and softness by year and trim package), will need top plate from strut too
12. Any 2.5" wide leaf spring can be used between to make a bastard pack (they may differ in stiffness and lift)
13. S10 Shocks (Rear only) = good for the lift you will get when you do a bastard pack
14. TJ Lift Coils (front only) = provide 1" less lift on an XJ than on a TJ

Brakes:
1. WJ brake booster
2. WJ Master Cylinder
3. YJ Brake Lines = 3-4" longer
4. Dodge Ram Van Brake Lines = 10-12" longer (for big lifts)
5. WJ Rotors/Calipers = bigger brakes and more stopping power (will fit 15" rims)
6. ZJ brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve = may need for disc conversion
7. XJ '95+ brake booster and master cylinder = dual diaphragm
8. Dakota Rear Softlines ('95-00) = 6" longer
9. GM C/K1500 Front Softlines ('90-95) = 6" longer
10. KJ disc brake set-ups can be used for a conversion on your XJ axle

Axles:
1. Ford 8.8 inch ('97+) = need spring & shock mounts (3.55, 3.73, or 4.10, maybe LSD, Disc Brakes)
2. XJ I-4 & some V6 = may have 3.73, 4.10, or 4.56 gears may have vacuum discos
3. XJ C8.25 ('97+) = bolt in and upgrades to 29 spline (strength comparable to D44)
4. XJ D44 = found in some but not all '87-'89 XJ's with Towing Package
5. Lincoln Lockers = welded spider gears, operates like a spool, must be a GOOD welder
6. MJ D44 = need new spring perches and shock mounts
7. XJ D30 = ('95-'99) non-disconnect, larger u-joints, high pinion, bolt in
8. Homebrew posi-locks for '84-90 vacuum disconnect D30s, eliminates vacuum actuation (use search function)

Front End & Steering:
1. ZJ V8 Tierods = beefier & bolt in
2. WJ Knuckles/Tierods/Draglinks = beefier and crossover steering
3. Durango Steering Box = beefier
4. 350 or 351 Power Steering Pump = helps with oversize tires (requires welding)
5. WJ LCA's = more tire clearance (some grinding required)
6. ZJ pitman arm = 1 inch drop over stock
7. WJ rear LCA's = replace XJ front LCA's, 2" longer to accommodate a lift, some grinding required
8. WJ power steering pump (fits '96+, plug return hole, and use XJ pulley)
9. V8 ZJ front sway-bar
10. JK rear UCA = use as XJ LCA, its about 1-2" longer

Engine/Transmission/T-case:
1. Newer XJ intakes (may require some modification)
2. Mustang 5.0 Injectors = near bolt in (have 4 holes instead of 1, more fuel, better spray)
3. ZJ V8 alternator = more power to run accessories (some grinding required) 136A
4. Ford Electric Fan ('90-95 3.8L Taurus, '87-93 5.0L Mustang) = replaces mechanical fan, more cooling (8C607)
5. 2.5L Dakota Alternator = bolt in, upgrades to 117A
6. Dodge Neon Injectors = better throttle response
7. '94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
8. ZJ and WJ stock tranny coolers with stacked plates (even an upgrade for us with the stock fin style)
9. 5spd crossmembers give 3/4 inch t-case drop on autos with no loss in ground clearance
10. Hoodvents (i.e. Lebaron, Laser, Turbo Thunderbird etc.) = help keep ur 4.0 cool at low speeds
11. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an MJ overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
12. Homebrew Slip Yoke Eliminator (use search function)

Body/Interior/Armor:
1. 97+ mirrors are direct bolt in to older XJ's and allow you to fold them in on tight trails.
2. MJ/2 Door XJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, bolt in
3. ZJ gas tank skid = can be modified to fit 97+
4. GM power antennas replace your broken XJ's with little modification
5. XJ '97+ doors onto older cherokees = one piece windows and better mirrors
6. XJ overhead console = most commonly found in '00-01 or higher trim level, provides space for switches etc.
7. '97+ center console = can be made to fit '96 and older, gives you cupholders!
8.'96-00 Ford Explorer hatch shocks = lift your hatch about 3" lower but are beef (ever see one that doesn't work?) need modification for '97+
9. OEM skid plates (Front, Tranny, T-case, gas tank, found on "up-country" package XJ's)
10. OEM swing-out tire carriers, get the bumper with it, found mainly on '84-'90 XJ's

*feel free to ask questions about any of these mods

**Also Blazin Den has made a list of links to build threads for us! Recap with Links!

***Here is the Link to the thread on Jeepforum.com where most of this info came from Budget Builds: What Junkyard parts will fit an XJ?

Okay; I hope this helps others.

Rick

I decided to finish this saga off better so that others would have less work to do when identifying the brake lines I used.

The NAPA part numbers doe the Dodge Dakota rear brake hose is:
'98-'96 Dakota
UP 38636 ($23 currently in my area of southeast Michigan)
4000 psi,
22.25" long,
(2) 3/8"-24 in block attaching to axle tube,
(1) 3/8-24 female socket to attach to body mount.

'93-'95 GM K1500 1/2 Ton 4WD Pickup front brake hoses are:
UP 38622 Left front ($22)
UP 38623 Right front
4000 psi,
22.5" long,
Mounting brackets surround the hose and slide to your mounting needs. However, neither metal bracket shown on the website matches those on mine hoses. In fact, both of my hoses have the same bracket, whereas those pictured on the NAPA website appear to feature unique brackets for R/L.

The GM brake hoses to not work well with the orienting feature on my re-manufactured Xj front calipers so I used (3) crush washers. I have never had one issue with this system. However, I do think I should have ground down the orienting feature on the caliper so that I could use one crush washer.

Good luck when you need these.

Rick

The GM brake hoses to not work well with the orienting feature on my re-manufactured Xj front calipers so I used (3) crush washers. I have never had one issue with this system. However, I do think I should have ground down the orienting feature on the caliper so that I could use one crush washer.

I just added the GM brake lines to mine this week. I found the same thing, although hardly any mentions of this in the MANY threads about the brake lines. I ground mine down on the new lines carefully and they work well. I also just slid the mounting bracket up to the fitting and just used the single stock torx bolt to hold it in place.

All,

I made a mistake with the front GM brake hoses! The hoses I have installed on my wife's 1997 Xj are those for the 2WD C1500 1/2Ton Truck not the 4WD K1500.

The correct NAPA part numbers are:
UP 38620 - Left Front, 4000 psi, banjo & female fittings 3/8-24, 21.5" long.

UP 38621 - Front Right, 4000 psi, banjo & female 3/8-24, 21" long.

Cost is currently ~$13 for each.

My apology for the error.

Rick

This thread looks like an awful lot of good info... good job!

YJ Wrangler F and R soft lines are +3" longer. Some Chevy pickup and Dodge Durango front lines are 4-6" longer.
This I have to take issue with. I went to AutoZone (yeah, I know) and got a YJ line (believe I said I had a 95, not entirely sure) and what I got back had a long wacky formed steel tube between the banjo fitting and the rubber hose. At least 4 inches of metal tubing. As this was not what I was looking for I ended up going with another stock line to get it rolling again. I need to look into this further, there is a good chance that their crossref database has an error in it because I've never heard of anyone else having this problem with YJ lines.

98REDXJ2,

Continue working this issue until you have this resolved to your satisfaction. I suspect something is not right here.

With this said, I should also add that I now know I expect to never utilize the full length of the GM front and Dodge rear brake hoses I have installed because, I will never install a lift featuring a height greater than the 4.5" of my RE6130 (...this Xj is not currently operational). I simply have no interest in more lift. My second Xj is currently sitting at 2" and is too low for the Bilstein 5100's so, I need to increase this to 2.5" to make them happy. If I increase this to 3" I will require a new set of shocks.

The Yj brake hoses are always described to be 3" longer than the Xj hoses. These may meet my 'low-lift' needs just fine. I can tell you the GM front lines are easily criticized as being too long for the ~2.5" lift if they are adequately oriented and prevented from any form of potential contact with the suspension components that move.

Rick

just to be clear the 97+ mirrors dont bolt directly in place on 89-96 XJ's I've tried this.. Yes you can make them fit but you'll get an annoying wind noise(like if you had the window down a touch).

I've never had an issue with that, where doesn't it line up? I have 97+ mirrors on my MJ and had em on my old XJ and they bolted right on.

i have personally bought c/k1500 front brake lines when i was putting new pads in the front and they are the same length if not shorter than my stock xj lines so I returned them..

wow i just re-looked through some of the posts and saw that its chevy 2wd. im pretty sure when i bought the others they were supposed to be "universal" for the c/k trucks. ig i shall have to try again lol

I would be suspect of a lot of those "tips" in that list.
I'm using '92 YJ front hoses and relocated the connection down as far as safe. Now I'm able to drop the axe enough to change springs (UCA's disconnected) without needing to touch my brakes ... and there is plenty of slack remaining during the whole operation.

As for some of the tips, they are just plain out to lunch ... for example late 70's f-series and Bronco springs will give you a whopping 2.5" total lift ... Not the 4+ the list states. How do I know? First set of springs I ran were 78 Bronco springs ... Proper measuring showed 2.5" over stock. Now If your springs were sagged 2" it may seem like more I suppose.

Anyway, I also have a 96 Dakota rear brakeline and at 6" lift neither the YJ fronts or Dakota rear lines are in any way short.

Back