• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator bracket modifications

wsxjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Purchased a re-manufactured alternator from a rebuilder a couple of years ago (sitting in storage) ... went to install and found it is slightly larger than stock Denso 56005 685AB ... looks almost exactly the same except the case diameter is slightly larger ... originally rewound for 170 amps - rebuilder said he could go to 200 amp max .. did not question this at the time ...

the top bolt and bracket seems to fit ok ... however, the bottom bracket is off around ~1 inch out ... the alternator's diameter is slightly larger which puts the bottom bracket out of line

appears would fit if the bottom mounting bolt could be mounted and pivoted out around an ~inch ... perhaps a little less and does not rub / make any sort of contact with frame, from vibration or other) ... ...

does not appear the old bracket can be re-drilled .... perhaps welding a piece to the bottom mounting hole i.e. if metal can hold a weld .... grinding of stock bracket or find another, larger bracket ..

Was thinking it the original alt. case is from a Grand Cherokee 4.0L, Dodge, or other ... There is also a stock 117 amp alternator, haven't found any information if requires a different bracket than the 90 amp alt.

Another idea i have seen is to remove the a/c compress and mount using a custom made bracket or bracket from a Grand Cherokee, replacing the a/c compressor ... (there is a second group 31 agm battery, used for additional loads & electronics, sits on the floor inside passenger side) however currently unsure about regulating a second alternator / battery setup ... if bypassing the evr/pcm module. ... haven't thought much about this ... i assume would put an additional load on engine ...

Last edited:
are you interested in keeping your air con? what year motor?

It's a 98 ... haven't decided, may keep the a/c hardware .. if ever it is ever needed in the future.

I still have the previously installed compressor, the pulley rusted and froze up ... replaced the entire compressor and pulley about a year ago with a re-manufactured ...

For whatever reason, this year XJ, the after-market doesn't manufacture a bypass pulley, so you have to either make one or try and find a stock bypass pulley ...

eBay has three or four bypass pulleys listed as of now. Search string "jeep ac pulley" will find them. Parts are listed for 91 to 95 fitment.

The aftermarket, listed for 91 - 95, fit a 98? fits on top of the a/c comp. braket/mount?

The Jeep dealer used to offer an OE bypass pulley for the 98 ... if i remember correctly they wanted ~$150.00 ...

Just keep trimming the brackets until the ALT fits. If you can slip a sheet of paper in between the ALT case and the bracket, you have plenty of room.

Just keep trimming the brackets until the ALT fits. If you can slip a sheet of paper in between the ALT case and the bracket, you have plenty of room.

I was thinking about doing that ... originally had to force it in with a prybar, between the frame and bracket, finally got the top bolt installed ... bottom hole appears to be over an inch off ...

my main concern is the alternator hitting on the vehicle's frame .... and grinding too much metal off the bracket.

not sure what alternator i was sent as it was two years ago ...

There is no part no. on the rebuilt unit .... Looking at dimensions from this web site ... has cross reference to Jeep Chrysler OE with some specifications including dimensions.

http://www.vicic.com.tw/ap-001-Denso.htm.

May try and find an additional bracket, then modify ... rather than taking the old one out and grinding it to see if it will fit ...

or try and use as an additional alternator with a second battery.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I had a similar problem and I'll share my solution.

In my XJ I have a 136amp alternator (listed as replacement for a '98 Dakota as well as certain other vehicles) and had the same problem, could use top bolt but bottom bolt would be an inch off, or vice versa. Ended up grinding the alternator bracket itself with an angle grinder, very easy, haven't had a problem since.

Whatever you do, DO NOT run the vehicle with the alternator only bolted in with just one bolt instead of the two required. Eventually, after a couple months of use, it will put so much strain/force on the bracket that the next time you're on your way to your favourite wheelin' location and you drive over a cattle grid, it will snap in half!! Ask me how I know :banghead:

xcm said:
are you interested in keeping your air con? what year motor?
I presume you asked due to the option of mounting the alternator higher up where the A/C compressor sits? I am looking to do this myself, desperate to do it soon (A/C system is already disconnected and mostly pulled from engine bay already) but from the threads I've been reading (your posts have been very informative by the way) there is some confusion as to if the same methods for older RENIX engines can be applied to later model HO engines.
Would love some help from you on this!
I have a '97 XJ but running a '99 4.0 engine. Am I good to bolt the stock alternator bracket into the A/C bracket?

P1010006.jpg

And this is that rear bracket I make from the old upper rad hose cup piece

I'm fine with using this method to securely bolt it down, but I noticed he has an older '88 XJ, just wanted to make sure I can do this with a '99 engine :)

Thanks!

for the H.O., you gotta do a lil bit more fab work... heres what i did.

belt routing may be differant for you... the pics i posted were from a 92. when we later installed a 99+ intake, and power steering pump bracket, it messed up our belt routing, we are going to cut off part of the our 92 timing chain cover, apparently the 97(?)+ timing chain cover doesnt have the timing pointer...

Back