• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help making decision

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be buying new tires soon (hopefully within a month) and I'm thinking about running some less mainstream tires...I'm looking in particular at the Kumho Road Venture KL71 and the Yokohama Geolander MT.

I mostly run rocks, mild prerunning, and loose rutted trails. Anybody have experience wit either tire? Have any advice? If i don't get either of them, it'll probably be KM2s, but I'd prefer to try out a slightly different tire (that also costs a few bucks less...)

Don't get the Kumho's. A guy I teach with has an LJ Rubicon and he was running 33's and got about 15k out of them before they went bald. They seemed to be made of a really soft rubber that wears out WAY too fast. The Maxxis Bighorns I owned did the same thing. I have heard good things about the Geolanders. You might want to look at the CooperSTT and the Hankook Dynapro MT. I have ran both and really liked them. Both are less than the BFG KM2 and the Goodyear Kevlars and have good longevity.

I'll be buying new tires soon (hopefully within a month) and I'm thinking about running some less mainstream tires...I'm looking in particular at the Kumho Road Venture KL71 and the Yokohama Geolander MT.

I mostly run rocks, mild prerunning, and loose rutted trails. Anybody have experience wit either tire? Have any advice? If i don't get either of them, it'll probably be KM2s, but I'd prefer to try out a slightly different tire (that also costs a few bucks less...)

Any particular reason you haven't considered MTR Kevlars?

Don't get the Kumho's. A guy I teach with has an LJ Rubicon and he was running 33's and got about 15k out of them before they went bald. They seemed to be made of a really soft rubber that wears out WAY too fast. The Maxxis Bighorns I owned did the same thing. I have heard good things about the Geolanders. You might want to look at the CooperSTT and the Hankook Dynapro MT. I have ran both and really liked them. Both are less than the BFG KM2 and the Goodyear Kevlars and have good longevity.
I had some Cooper Futura Enforcer MTs way back when and liked them. Wore good, seemed to have good traction.
What about the Duratracs. I really like mine.
I thought about them, but the XJ will be getting shuffled more towards trail toy soon as I intend on buying a CUCV to DD, so I figured I'd go with something more aggressive since road manners won't matter as much.

Any particular reason you haven't considered MTR Kevlars?
Thought very heavily on them, and really, they are still in the back of my mind tied with the BFGs. The only problem for them is they cost more than the rest, includin the BFGs.

Thought very heavily on them, and really, they are still in the back of my mind tied with the BFGs. The only problem for them is they cost more than the rest, includin the BFGs.

I completely understand they are on the pricier side.

You had mentioned 'rocks' and from my many experiences in JV, BOTW, etc, no tire has ever inpressed me more than the MTR. They are also awesome at freeway speeds. They do not perform 'great' in the mud though but luckily we don't have much for mud around here. Also, they balance really well even after they have been used for a while (unlike problems I have had with BFGs) If you can pinch the extra $$$ out I think you will be happier in the long run.

Good luck in your decision process though.

I'm with Cracker on this one. though i don't have any first hand experience with the MTRs they do seem to be getting the best reviews from both published and unpublished sources. and when it comes to tire reviews getting info from people that have actually used them for more than a week is way better. i am still looking for more people that have used the general grabbers on a day to day basis. alot of racers used them because they got sponsored. but that is not what WE put our tires through. though in your case you might want to be looking at what the crawlers are running since you are building a mostly off highway rig.

Don't forget about Maxxis Bighorns and their twin the Muddawg or something (ask Bo, same tire, different name). I like them, they're a bit like to the old pre-Kevlar MT/R. They preform well on pavement and work well on the rocks.

I didn't bother to read the whole post but I suggest getting good old BFG A/T's. They are perfect for the uses you described and they are about the cheapest choice.

If we are able to follow through on our plans to buy the wife an older Suburban, it will definitely be getting BFG ATs.

I'm between MTRs and Geolanders right now. The big drawback to the Geos is that it would appear they are out of production so I may not be able to get a replacement if I ruin one.

EDIT:Well shoot. I was thinking of going with 35s instead since I'll be installing RCV shafts, and the cheapest through Discount Tire are the KM2s by about $11 over the ATs, $24 over the Geolanders, and $28 over the MTRs. Hmmm....

Last edited:
Back