• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

widden track?

casual

NAXJA Forum User
i know this sounds poser like but im looking for the prerunner look..mainly the wide track.
what backspacing should i go for without being stupid wide.

ill be running 33x10.5x15 with trimmed fenders and 4.5" of lift. it will still be D30 up front and 8.25 in the rear.
my jeep is a daily and going to be build similar to "crazyjim's rig"

the wheels im looking at are Ultra type 164's. at 15x7 they are -9mm offset & 3.54" back spacing.
the 15x8 is -19mm offset but doesnt show a backspacing so im curious what they would be?

i guess im looking for something with a 3.50" or less backspacing..possibly even lower.

is there a 15x8 wheel that looks similar with a 3" back spacing?
or can you guys show me your 15x8 wheels with a 3" backspacing. so i can see what other options i have.

There aren't too many, maybe none at all that are running a 3" BS.. Reason being that the wheel unit bearings start to fail very quickly with that much leverage sticking out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be going for the IFS prerunner look. Long travel arms on an IFS rig cause the wide stance. An XJ prerunner doesn't get any wider as you increase travel. If you are truly trying to emulate Jim's rig, take a look at it, most of the width that you see in these XJs comes from fiberglass flares to cover the fatter tires and create more room for travel.

Getting less backspacing can have the adverse effect f increasing the leverage on the unit bearings, causing premature wear, and messing wit the scrub angle/radius on your steering. My recommendation? Fiure what width/backspacing you need to achieve the travel and performance you want, worry about looks later.

ya i never thought about wearing out the bearings...ive read that before to.
and not so much copy his look..just what hes done suspension wise i guess.
im not worried about glass fenders and how the front looks that way...i like the look of trimmed fenders w/ the wheels sticking out, idk its deffinetly unique. and im not a fan of glass body panels.
funny story on why i dont like glass body panels, brother had a f150 a year or more ago. someone stole the glass fenders & bedsides off of that while we were at the poker run out here around barstow/hodge road area. never expected to see that when we woke up.
but i guess people needed it more than us lol.

ill probably just stick with a 3.75" back spacing.

If you really want the wide track look then throw some 1 ton full width axles under it and that will help the tires stick out quite a bit.

pretty sure you can go to any NTB etc and they can order steel wheels with any backspacing you want.

best I got:

DSCF1450.jpg

34x9.5 TSLs on 15x7's with 3.5" backspacing from Summit. Round about 3" or so of lift.

They will still tuck inside the fenders, but only if you cut them substantially.

moab 101 by nsjames805, on Flickr

Fender cutting:
DSCF0610.jpg

DSCF0615.jpg

DSCF0618.jpg

Last edited:
i know this sounds poser like but im looking for the prerunner look..mainly the wide track.
what backspacing should i go for without being stupid wide.

ill be running 33x10.5x15 with trimmed fenders and 4.5" of lift. it will still be D30 up front and 8.25 in the rear.
my jeep is a daily and going to be build similar to "crazyjim's rig"

the wheels im looking at are Ultra type 164's. at 15x7 they are -9mm offset & 3.54" back spacing.
the 15x8 is -19mm offset but doesnt show a backspacing so im curious what they would be?

BTW, 15x8 and -19mm offset would put it at about 3.76" backspacing. :greensmok

Back