• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Door Lift Struts

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I did some Forum searching on this but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a recommendation on rear door lift struts for my 89 Cherokee. The originals worked well for many years, but finally a few years ago, they just wouldn't keep the door up so I replaced with some that I purchased on line (maybe Ebay, I can't remember). In any case, they're shot already. I'm torn between purchasing cheaper Munroe replacements or going with more expensive units that may end up failing in a few years anyway. Anyone have any advice?

PS - I could go with original OEM replacements - if there are even available, but I'm assuming that route is very expensive (if they lasted like the originals on my truck, I guess it might be worthwhile though)

Quadratec has them. Mine are blown and my trunk only stays open when its hot outside. I just keep a shoe in the back and when i open it i wedge it in between the strut and the body. Works great

I use a pair of vise grips to hold mine up.

I've had good luck with the "StrongArm" branded struts sold on Amazon. I've had them on my '99 for just over two years now and the liftgate (steel on the late models) still requires a good hard pull to get it to come down, even on cold days. For some reason the price on the pre 97's is quite a bit more than the 97+ ones that I bought, but I'd assume they're built at least as well.

It still always cracks me up to hear mention of 2x4's and Vise-Grips (a shoe is new one for me) whenever this topic comes up. Come on people, just buy some new struts already! They cost less than a tank of gas (at least here in CA), you'd use them nearly every day, they keep you from looking like a complete redneck, and just make loading and unloading your cargo area so much easier.

Just replaced them on my 88. The old ones worked in all but freeing temps, and since I use it for hunting in those temps, they got replaced.

Got mine @ advance....~ 45 bucks for both

C4782 Strong Arm Lift

I used the NAPA ones, be careful though, as they are much stronger than the originals. If you are not paying attention, the liftgate will hit you in the face :gee:

dammit, I knew I forgot something on my last rockauto order!

right now I use the vice grip method because let's face it, I drive a jeep... I always have a pair of vice grips around somewhere.

If I have to do that I'm kinda screwed... and the hatch probably won't close again afterwards either :anon:

I used the NAPA ones, be careful though, as they are much stronger than the originals. If you are not paying attention, the liftgate will hit you in the face :gee:
i purchased "mighty lift" nitrogen charged replacements from vatozone for $24 a piece over a year ago & they still work great, very strong.. even in cold conditions my lift gate would smack me in the face if i wasn't paying attention.:roflmao:

older, weak lift struts work great for hood's.... im just saying.

i cannot beleive you guys with shoe's or vicegrips, i drive a 20 year old vehicle too, but i wouldnt be caught dead with a lift gate that doesnt open and hold open, thats just janky! we know it's a jeep, this is a jeep forum, step it up! theyre like cheap too.

I had a sawed off broom handle the right length on my 92 to wedge between the inside lower corner of the liftgate window and the edge of the trim. Made one hell of a WHAM when it slipped out one day. That thing is heavy.

I got a set from Advance for 20 bucks each. I know I could have gotten them cheaper but I got tired of holding the hatch on my head as I loaded things in the back.

you can find those anywhere and if you even wanted to you can just replace one and leave one old one on there, thats if you didnt want to spend money on 2. I realized that when changing mine out last week after just installing one and the hatch stayed open even when parked on a steep drive way.

Got a pair at Rockauto.com was $34 for both, shipped. Heck of a deal, and they had 4 brands to choose from! Only thing that could have been better would have been country of manufacture information. Would prefer to buy US-made.

:laugh: never knew hatch struts could be so entertaining. Mine still work most of the time but when it falls I'm part of the prop it up with my head crew.

Back