• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Swap.

mcweenie

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I got an 89 Cherokee that I'm putting a Dana 44 rear end on. However the Used rear D44 came without brakes, will the drum/ shoe set off my existing Dana 35 swap over ok?
Just wondered if any of my fellow jeepers came accross this before...

no im pretty sure it wont the d44 had bigger brakes might as well do a disc brake swap since there all missing anyway :)

The D44 axle tube/backing plate bolt holes were not the same bolt spacing as on my 1999 D35.

Three ways to go.

Convert to disks

Buy the drum brakes off someone doing a disk conversion

Do a JY search. A some Ford vehicles used D44s

I had no problem bolting D35 backing plates onto my D44-- non c-clip D35 to a non c-clip (obviously) D44. The only difference was the size of the center hole. I was able to hit it with a grinder and open it up a bit (didn't measure, but about an eighth inch) and bolt 'em on.

Your '89 should have come with the same backing plates as mine ('88) so I'd say with a little effort, it's doable-- if you haven't opened the hydraulic lines, you could keep everything attached and just pull the shafts and plates from each axle to swap the housings. Just measure and cut before you stick the new housing in place to avoid filling the bearings with grinder meat.

xWhatever
Spending time, energy and money to put drum brakes onto a naked 44 is silly.
Spend just a little more of each and go disc.

Thanks for the comments made. Only problem is I really dont have disc conversion dough$ right now. Not sure when either. I'm looking for the most economical way, I can do the disc swap when I get the money.

As far as the ZJ rear discs, are they all the same and compatible with for a D44? Or is there a certain model to look for?
If so I may take a trip to pick a part myself and pull them off and install on my D44...

Hit the junkyard.

ZJ rear disc parts cost me $65, and I threw in two new axle seals for another $6. I still need to buy new lugs but might be able to pull a set out of the junkyard from another ZJ with discs if I feel like continuing my :gee: streak (I'm using the hoses, rotors, and pads from the junkyard as well, since they were in decent condition.)

You need:
* backing plates w/ e-brake hardware on them
* the splined press in studs on the axle flange (the ones for discs are longer iirc)
* all the nuts and bolts you pull in the process
* the calipers, pads, rotors, hoses
* maybe the lug studs if they will fit d44 shafts

only annoying part is adapting the e-brake cables to fit, and even that isn't too bad. They're the same style as the Explorer ones, and you may be able to yank the e-brake setup off the donor ZJ and use it, haven't checked length yet.

Thanks! I will do that... I've never done this before so do I need to replace the backing plates, I cant use the backing plates from my existing drum set? thats all I have is the backing plates. My concern is that I dont want to have to pull the axles as I have just had ARB lockers and new gears installed. I dont want to pull my axles if I dont have to...

Also I'm gonna go to a junk yard to pull the zj discs my self. will I need to pull the axles off the zj to get the brake components i need? just want to be sure what tools to take with me...

Also just be sure, any zj will work, or is there a certain type I need to be looking for?

thanks again!

Last edited:
dana44 drum brake are alot bigger in size, I would NEVER put dana35 drums on a dana44, just do ZJ disc swap.

When built correctly, 10"X1.75" shoes are more than enough for a street and mild wheeling vehicle. Obviously the bigger-the better, but if you're not towing or stopping wheels/tires over 35", the stock D35 brakes are an adequate option.

I'm running 33" tires with a 6.5" rusty's long arm lift kit. For now I have only been doing mild wheeling but I will get into some more difficult terrain when I get this done. With 33" tires you think the D35 will be fine? At least until I get the money to do more?

nope, unless you like swapping axle shafts and spider gears on the trail or driving like a granny.

I know people who have blown d35s up on stock tires on asphalt, and 32s doing a u-turn on a gravel road, with an open diff.

Back