• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights effecting radio signal?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I turn my headlights on, my radio reception gets worse. The radio is stock, the headlights are H4-3's if I remember correctly. Bad ground? Where should I start to look? This is on a 2000. Thanks.

I would start with the grounds.

Just cleaning both ends where they connect should be enough right? How do you check them?

Really isn't any "checking" to it--remove the ground, clean the wire/cable end to shiny metal, clean the engine/unibody surface to shiny metal, treat with anti-corrosion agent, make the connections tight.

You CAN test the resistance value of a ground wire with an ohm meter, but that might lead to your being fooled--test the resistance, too high, renew the ground, still have a problem because the wire itself is bad.

Thanks Joe, what type of anti-corrosion agent would you use? Something like rustoleum?

Thanks Joe, what type of anti-corrosion agent would you use? Something like rustoleum?

no, rustoleum is paint, and will insulate insulate the ground.

Ox guard (made by Gardner Bender)is good stuff and should be available at your local hardware store. Or you can go to radioshack or the auto parts store and pick up some CRC di electric grease.

Back