• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts from Rockauto.com

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
IM looking into getting new TRE's and ball joints and wondered have any of you bought from them and how the parts performed for you. I think its time to replace these things on my Jeep and i'm curious as to how the hold up to mild wheeling.

Thanks!

Total cost for all these items shipped to my door is gonna set me back $161.14

:peace:

I'd get spicers from alljeep.com. RockAuto is a great shop but I just don't trust other makes as much as spicer, and alljeep pretty much blows everyone else out of the water on spicer prices.

RA has been good to me. I replaced a head and bought all my parts (less the head) from them including a valve. Also replaced other things while in there. I wouldn't be concerned with it. If you look at the brands they sell, some of them are top-notch remans like cardone.

More info, like specific brands and part numbers, is needed to give good info.

I am constantly ordering from rockauto.com, and like all parts houses they have parts from different manufacturers for the same application.

Here is the info for the TRE's

AUTO EXTRA Part # AXES3096L
STEERING ARM TO STEERING ARM; Front Left Outer
$10.54$0.00$10.54
Remove.gif
AUTO EXTRA Part # AXES3095R
STEERING ARM TO CONNECTING TIE ROD; Front Right Inner
$10.60$0.00$10.60
Remove.gif
RAYBESTOS Part # 4011476B Service Grade
At Pitman Arm;22mm Threads;Left Hand Threads;

I opted for the cheapest for now but then again, i could spend a little more for quality parts. So far my rig has held up fine for the year or so that I have wheeled it and all from running Big bear all the way up to the " Rubicon" and some JV trails. I'm not a very aggressive driver so maybe that's why i haven't had any major carnage . Anyway, on to the list.

Moog parts

OOG Part # ES3095R Right Hand Threads
Frt Strg; Inner; LH; At Connecting Tie Rod; left hand drive vehicles
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business daysC$21.79$0.00$21.79
Remove.gif
MOOG Part # ES3096L Left Hand Threads
Frt Strg; Inner; RH; At Pitman Arm; left hand drive vehicles
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business daysC$34.79$0.00$34.79
Remove.gif
MOOG Part # ES3094L Left Hand Threads
Frt Strg; Outer; LH; left hand drive vehicles
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business daysC$34.79$0.00$34.79
Remove.gif

and here are the ball joint prices and manufacturers

AUTO EXTRA Part # AXK3134T
Front UpperB$8.58$0.00$8.58
Remove.gif
AUTO EXTRA Part # AXK3161T
Front LowerB$9.66$0.00$9.66
Remove.gif
RAYBESTOS Part # 5001058B Service Grade
Front Suspension;Upper;By Design The Stud Does Not Articulate, It Only Spins. Up And Down Movement Is NormalC$12.56$0.00$12.56
Remove.gif
RAYBESTOS Part # 5051117B Service Grade
Front Suspension;LowerC$12.57$0.00$12.57
Remove.gif
MEVOTECH Part # MK3134T Suspension Ball Joint
Front UpperB$12.71$0.00$12.71
Remove.gif
MEVOTECH Part # MK3161T Suspension Ball Joint
Front LowerB$17.72$0.00$17.72
Remove.gif
DEEZA Part # JEG604 Premium Quality
Patented Stronger Greaseable Version; Front UpperA$28.79$0.00$28.79
Remove.gif
DEEZA Part # JEG608 Premium Quality
Front LowerA$32.79$0.00$32.79
Remove.gif

daily driver or wheeling rig?

daily driver I would splurge for higher quality that "service grade"

wheeling rig, cheapest I can get, cause chances are it's going to be broken before it wears out.

Its not my Daily driver. Got an 88 Honda civic for that :p

I was also thinking about going to Orielly or Autozone as its only a couple bucks cheaper than the mistery brand that Rock Auto sells. Though im not sure how well the Duralast stuff holds up to wheelin'. Decisions, decisions...

The cheaper brands will often break easier than the better brands. I wouldn't want to run a Brute Force U-joint, for instance.

If you're going to buy cheap ones, buy extra sets and carry the tools to install them on the trail.

I was also thinking about going to Orielly or Autozone

No, no, no, no, no, and no. Especially not for stuff like this. I was still living in CA when O'Reilly came in and bought up Kragen; the quality of the stuff they were selling (which was at least serviceable) tanked in the space of about 30 days, and Autozone is on my 'not unless the only other option is walking for an indefinite period of time' list.

as its only a couple bucks cheaper than the mistery brand that Rock Auto sells. Though im not sure how well the Duralast stuff holds up to wheelin'. Decisions, decisions...

Here's the thing to consider: how many times do you want to do this job? I'm not saying that the Autozone/O'Reilly parts are going to explode a week after you put them in, but neither of those places (and add Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and any other big-box auto parts store into this list) are known for supplying high-quality items. Sure, it may mean not having to do it for a couple or three years... But then you're still doing it again a couple or three years later.

Alljeep's Spicer units are really the best bet here.

I am thinking about ordering parts from them too mine is a DD about 10.000 miles a yr so figgured they would last 4 or 5 yrs have a case of DW need to get raid of figgured all control arm bushings, ball joints and track bar, and Tierod ends should fix the ploblem

Last edited:
P
No, no, no, no, no, and no. Especially not for stuff like this. I was still living in CA when O'Reilly came in and bought up Kragen; the quality of the stuff they were selling (which was at least serviceable) tanked in the space of about 30 days, and Autozone is on my 'not unless the only other option is walking for an indefinite period of time' list.

Here's the thing to consider: how many times do you want to do this job? I'm not saying that the Autozone/O'Reilly parts are going to explode a week after you put them in, but neither of those places (and add Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and any other big-box auto parts store into this list) are known for supplying high-quality items. Sure, it may mean not having to do it for a couple or three years... But then you're still doing it again a couple or three years later.

Alljeep's Spicer units are really the best bet here.

I understand what you are saying but at this point I have more time than I have money. So doing the job more than once isnt an issue. For now I think temporarily it will suffice. I'll bring spares if nothing else.

Thanks for the feedback.

P

I understand what you are saying but at this point I have more time than I have money. So doing the job more than once isnt an issue. For now I think temporarily it will suffice. I'll bring spares if nothing else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can't believe I am even suggesting this--but if that is how you feel then buy the "lifetime" replacement junk those part houses offer--you will be getting some practice replacing those parts, and if cost vs. sweat equity is the issue, go for it. Just be careful because when some of those bargain "lifetime" parts let go they tend to take out other things--and that damage isn't covered.

to be honest I've never really noticed a difference in steering components. Tie rod ends and balljoints all pretty much seem to be the same.

drivetrain stuff however is another story, there are large differences between bargain u-joints and spicer units.

Can't believe I am even suggesting this--but if that is how you feel then buy the "lifetime" replacement junk those part houses offer--you will be getting some practice replacing those parts, and if cost vs. sweat equity is the issue, go for it. Just be careful because when some of those bargain "lifetime" parts let go they tend to take out other things--and that damage isn't covered.

Been in the same boat before, so understand how it goes. I'll second this.

Been in the same boat before, so understand how it goes. I'll second this.
Once the misses starts working again ill buy better quality stuff. Trust me, i would buy the good stuff if i could rigjt now.

to be honest I've never really noticed a difference in steering components. Tie rod ends and balljoints all pretty much seem to be the same.

drivetrain stuff however is another story, there are large differences between bargain u-joints and spicer units.

Yeah, I agree as well.

I still have a Shitty 2 piece dana 30, if it takes it out then its doing me a favor :p

I have not order TREs from them (will need to soon though), but I have bought other things from their site. I've always been happy with the company and the speed at which the part gets sent out.

If you get lucky you might even get a fridge magnet with $500mj's rig on it :thumbup: I've only gotten classics and lowriders so far but statistics are on my side with this one, roll the dice enough times and you will win eventually :roflmao:

Back