• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Large Bumps, Spring noise

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I am going to do my best to explain this.
Background:
89 larado, 4.0 aw4 np231
4.5 lift using teraflex adjustable arms, RE coils "all about 5 years old"
5" rear bastered pack, some stock cherokee some s10 chevy 1500 4 "lower shackels "2.5 lift"
35x12.50, dana 30-8.25

Problem:
I recently changed the front axle to a non disco, and after setting everything back up, never changed the control arm length"left them attached to frame". and reinstalled coils.
As I drive down the road, the bumps seem harsher at all speeds and when I hit big dips in the road that compress the front suspension I hear a distinct spring sound. It didnt do this before.

What I have checked:
I have looked at the springs, to see if they are seated" they are". I even went as far as removing the spings and reinstalling them. I have checked for room around the spring between the bump stops and spring,it has room. I have checked the axle alignment it is still in spec.

Question:
Does anyone know what this could be, or have experienced this problem before. This is my 3rd xj witht the same lift "swaped over each time" this is the first time I have gotten this or any problem.

Thanks for any information, leading to an answer
William

Since nothing else changed but the front axle itself,Id look at ball joints,unit bearings, and upper front ca bushings.

Describe "spring sound". Is your spring hitting the trackbar bracket on the driver side?
Look for shiny metal where anything may be rubbing.

Spring sound, well, it sounds as if the spring is compressing then realeasing at a quick rate. not sure how to describe a sound. like a deep "boing" sound.

The hubs are from the previous axle. reason for this is because the axle I used was from a 95, diffrent hubs and brakes. I replaced the balljoints, and swapped spindles, hubs and brakes over. sorry for not posting that before " slipped my mind"

I will look at the lower Trackbar bracket tomorrow morning. also if the bushings were bad on the upper mounts. It would alow the axle to twist under compression "correct" thus allowing the spring to bow and make contract with the bump stops "possibly"

Thanks for the responses jonzer12 and RCP phx
William

ok I looked at the Uppeer Trackbar mount. there is a spot with light rubbage. the dirt and oil is cleared off but not shinny looking. Also there is some rubbage on the down pipe and drive shaft, however I dont believe my suspension is compressing that far. Could the axle need to be shifter over to the drivers side. I didnt mess with the track bar during install.

It is only making the noise when Im driving and the suspension gets compressed. I have had 2 buddys push the front end down over and over again while I sit in the jeep and no noise. However I had them hit the spring with a hammer, while inside the jeep. Noise is almost identical " when hit with hammer.

Any more ideas.

if it the same sound as hitting the coils with a hammer 1 of 2 things is probably happening,
one as I mentioned you are hitting the trackbar bracket,
two, the sway bar is hitting the coil.

I have the same thing happening, my swaybar is less than an inch off the coils at rest and is hitting on drivers side on compression

I dont have sway bars :) springs are decently stiff. I checked the axle today to see if it was square the the frame, it is! so now what. I am at a lost. I am installing new hubs tomorrow and going to pull the front shaft to see if it is whats making the noise. The shaft will slip in to itself, I wonder if mine isnt slipping of if itss brinding when the axle is raised.

well alittle., as in ,if you hold a strait edge to them they bow alittle. half an inch at most, but that is because the axles pinion is pointed up some to match the t-case. this is how it was on the previous axle. im going to go flex this thing out andd check for clearence when its fully compressed and stuffed :)

My rig does this too, but I always assumed it was my cheap bumpstop extensions (4 hockey pucks glued together floating inside the springs). I could be wrong though it sounds...

Any pics of your set-up could help with diagnosis.

OK, just a note. I fixed the problem. The coil was rubbing the lip on the bumpstop. I dont use those bumps stops anymore so I just cut the bump stop off at the lip.
Thanks for the help guys.

William

Back