• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long crank time

nomorecash

NAXJA Forum User
long crank, been that way for 2 years newer cps, battery, ground cable, battery cable. looking at fuel pump or reg. pump is putting out 35psi with pump on motor off and 30psi motor on and holds psi when off

do i just need a new pump i think it should be like 41psi

GOT to know your BASICS--year, engine, annual income, SSN, etc.

Long crank times are common with the Renix Jeeps such as yours. Refreshing all your engine compartment grounds, negative battery cable ground at the block, and adding a ground from the negative battery cable to the body will go a long way toward reducing cranking time. If yo want to do a real bang up job with your battery cables, contact www.kelleyswip.com and purchase his upgraded cable kit. It makes a hell of a difference.

Yeah, the Renix has to "spin up" to 300+ RPMs before the crank sensor can generate a signal strong enough to get the ECU to fire a spark.

Powerful battery, BIG cables, starter-solenoid in top condition can all reduce the "spin up" time--kind of a matter of how much do you want to spend to cut the time down?

Of course, good tuneup with quality parts will help once the 300+ RPM threshold has been reached.

31 at idle, 39 at idle with the hose removed from the fuel pressure regulator.

The sync generator inside the distributor can be bad and that will slow down your starting times a bit, too.

Another thing I've found that helps the Renix Jeeps to start a bit more quickly is to "index" the distributor. This requires cutting the distributor locating tabs off and making it adjustable. You can search for that.

Back