• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will it hurt anything to run the defroster with NO auxillary fan?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ my aux fan broke so I pulled it out until I can find a cheap one. Will it hurt anything if I run the defroster without it?

No it won't.
X2
In defrost the AC tends to dry the air blowing onto windshields..This helps more as a defogger when the air is not frozen yet and can still be quit damp. Dry warm air pulls more fog off the windshield better then damp warm air.
By this time of year (in Ohio anyway) the air is so dry and cold.
1. The there is little dampness to pull out of the air. The AC part of the defroster job is of little help.
2. The air outside is so cold the AC condenser really don't need the fan to stay cool anyway.
3. I don't think the ECU can tell if the fan is even there.

No it won't.
X2
In defrost the AC tends to dry the air blowing onto windshields..This helps more as a defogger when the air is not frozen yet and can still be quit damp. Dry warm air pulls more fog off the windshield better then damp warm air.
By this time of year (in Ohio anyway) the air is so dry and cold.
1. The there is little dampness to pull out of the air. The AC part of the defroster job is of little help.
2. The air outside is so cold the AC condenser really don't need the fan to stay cool anyway.
3. I don't think the ECU can tell if the fan is even there.

It my 97 I pulled the aux fan and relay. Check engine light came on.

In my 99 the relay is still there but the fan is removed. No CE light yet,but I also havent tried to use the fan.

Back