• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to start, Just get a Click

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
Have never had a starting problem (other then a NSW issue 3 years ago...) I have a "new" less then 2 year old optima red top, new starter (less then 6 months old).

I went out to my Jeep this morning to try and start it to head off to work and all I got was a Click. First thought was lets jump it (even though all the electrical was working inside), pulled my car next to is and let it sit for 3-4 min, got in and turned the key, same thing....

Then I thought well it could be the starter... even though I just replaced it. So I have pulled the starter and tested it (both the starter and the solenoid. and the Bendix engages and the motor spins. Should I take it to a shop and have them do a current draw test on the starter?

Is there some relay that could be bad? It started like butter Saturday, no problems, nothing. Does any one have any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

Did you do the basics ? battery charged, Battery cable connections clean and tight.

I see it 3-4 times a day. Called for a tow because the" stater or relay is bad". I get there and the cables arn't tight (if there loose enough to turn on the post by hand they can corrode between the post and cable end and look like new on the outside) , bad cables, dirty conections, dead /bad battery.

if the cable is bad or the conection between the cable and cable end is bad/corroded it may not jump start but pass enough current to make lights and things come on.

Battery is charged, checked the cables, I have 2 gauge ground wires for all cables, and good clean heavy duty battery terminals to connect things to. I dont have able of my book or FSM on me at the moment, but can you get a new starter wiring harness part for not alot of $$? I also have a heafty 2 gauge wire going to the distribution center from the battery.

I am at work at the moment, I will install the starter when I get home (will clean all the contactes on the starter end) and swap the relays and go from there.

One quick test with a meter will tell you a LOT.

With the key in the ON position, get a voltage reading directly at the starter.

IF you have approx. full battery voltage at the starter with the key ON, the problem is in the starter.

IF you do NOT have approx. full battery voltage at the starter with the key ON, you need to start working your way "back" into the engine bay to find out the cause of the voltage drop.

This is the test I perform as job #1 when people say they hear a "click" and after I have verified all connections and grounds.

I really need to invest in a better DMM... I have a crappy $10 wall-mart special that I given when I was doing security systems back 5 years ago...

I will do that... so no more then 0.1V... I will start probing around... :p I will have time this afternoon when I get home from work today to get that done, I am going to clean off the starter and make it look new again and all the contacts.

Back