• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone installed an Amsoil by-pass system on their XJ?

I have an amsoil dual remote by-pass system here at home just waiting to be used on something. I would like to install it on the XJ; however I don't see a lot of room. If I could relocate the coolant overflow bottle, then I would hve some room. Any thoughts?

Damn, those are expensive!

Someone made a bracket to mount a dual-remote filter near the PDC, parallel with the engine. They posted pics. Try searching "remote filter" and see what you get.

I don't have a remote oil filter but I did add a oil filter for the transmission behind the front cross member.

Do you have a picture that you could post? Also, where did you get the parts? I added one to my Dodge Cummins, but it was an over-the-shelf trasmission spin-on filter kit that came with stainless lines, mounting bracket, gauge, filter, etc.

I have one on my 6.0 PSD and love it. Never thought about putting one on the XJ though? It would all depend on what you hope to achieve by putting it there. It isn't cheap by any means.

I like these - www.wefilterit.com

I remember my dad installing them on all of our cars when I was a kid. He never changed the oil - just a new filter and add a quart every 3k miles.

so If I install this filter I never have to change my oil? why doesnt every car have this?

And can someone tell me what the difference between a bypass filter and a remote filter is? I was thinking of running duel remote filters in my grand wagoneer because it looks pretty cool, and I have TONS of room under that hood.

There is a big debate on whether or not you need to ever change the oil. I'll leave that up to you to research and draw your own conclusion.

Remote filter - takes the place of the stock filter location on the block. All oil is routed through the filter.

Bypass - an additional filter where only a small portion of the oil is routed through the filter. These are typically much higher efficiency filters and can remove much more contaminants than a stock type filter. Oil is generally bled from the pressure galley, filtered and returned directly to the pan. The stock filter stays in place.

I run a by-pass filter on my Dodge Cummins. Amsoil uses a 2 micron by-pass filter which also helps remove soot. I usually pull an used oil analysis once a year which is usually a 10,000 - 14,000 mile oil change interval. The oil analysis always come back good showing normal wear. In a gasoline engine, I’ve known some people logging 25,000 - 30,000 miles on one oil change (with by-pass filter) and their UOA’s come back normal. The key is to have a good quality oil. I wouldn’t recommend most off the shelf oils. Amsoil is about the only company that I would completely trust for longer drain intervals. And even with Amsoil, I still pull a UOA just to make sure the oil is doing its job.

There is a big debate on whether or not you need to ever change the oil. I'll leave that up to you to research and draw your own conclusion.

Remote filter - takes the place of the stock filter location on the block. All oil is routed through the filter.

Bypass - an additional filter where only a small portion of the oil is routed through the filter. These are typically much higher efficiency filters and can remove much more contaminants than a stock type filter. Oil is generally bled from the pressure galley, filtered and returned directly to the pan. The stock filter stays in place.

I run a by-pass filter on my Dodge Cummins. Amsoil uses a 2 micron by-pass filter which also helps remove soot. I usually pull an used oil analysis once a year which is usually a 10,000 - 14,000 mile oil change interval. The oil analysis always come back good showing normal wear. In a gasoline engine, I’ve known some people logging 25,000 - 30,000 miles on one oil change (with by-pass filter) and their UOA’s come back normal. The key is to have a good quality oil. I wouldn’t recommend most off the shelf oils. Amsoil is about the only company that I would completely trust for longer drain intervals. And even with Amsoil, I still pull a UOA just to make sure the oil is doing its job.

Great info here!!!

I've been running a toilet paper bypass filter for over 100k on my stroker and for over 40 years on one vehicle or another. I've only changed the oil twice in 100k miles.

I've been running a toilet paper bypass filter for over 100k on my stroker and for over 40 years on one vehicle or another. I've only changed the oil twice in 100k miles.

WOW

And even with Amsoil, I still pull a UOA just to make sure the oil is doing its job.

x2. We have a two vehicles that we do UOA on. On one the Amsoil should be changed at 10,000 miles. On the other we have it up to 22,000 and climbing. Both stock filtration setups. Both the same V8. The only difference is one is newer and supercharged.

Back