• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking for valve cover

CodyJames

NAXJA Forum User
I recently overheated my 2001 4L XJ reaaly bad, to the point it was knocking bad as I was trying to pull over. Well I got under the hood and saw my thermostat housing was cracked in half and leaking bad. I bought a new thermostat, housing and gasket and put it on along with some fluids. Well now something in the valve cover closest to the fire wall, I think #1 Cylinder?, is making a tick.tick.tick.tick.tick sound. What did I do? What does this mean?

Could it be the exguast manifold going bad and ticking? Smoke or steam has been coming form somewhere but I think its just from me spilling and burping coolant.

Another thing to watch out for with an overheated 2001 is a cracked cylinder head.

The 01 came from the factory with the "infamous" 0331 head, which has a casting defect and is prone to cracking between cylinders 3-4, ESPECIALLY after an overheat.

By far, the #1 clue to this is when you see the level of coolant in your coolant reservoir dropping without a leak.

You need to watch your coolant reservoir like a HAWK, until you get a bunch more miles on this and can build up some confidence that your head is okay.

Another thing to watch out for with an overheated 2001 is a cracked cylinder head.

The 01 came from the factory with the "infamous" 0331 head, which has a casting defect and is prone to cracking between cylinders 3-4, ESPECIALLY after an overheat.

By far, the #1 clue to this is when you see the level of coolant in your coolant reservoir dropping without a leak.

You need to watch your coolant reservoir like a HAWK, until you get a bunch more miles on this and can build up some confidence that your head is okay.

Alright I will. I just got it flushed. I put in a new thermosat 195F. New Battery and plugs and it runs great. After the overheat I acted like the timing was realy off or it was running on two cylinders. After I disconected the battery it ran fine. But now it does not run at 210 it runs one-one and a half marks below the 210. Heater has never worked even with flush.

Back