• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Grumblings

Anadaron

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the relevant data upfront: 98 Cherokee 4.0, AW4, 242 TC w/ Tom Woods SYE and double cardan rear driveshaft, 5.5" lift, D30/D35 axle setup with 4.10 gears and Detroit Tru Tracs front and rear, 31" tires. 120xxx miles.

So after finally installing my SYE and fixing my exhaust rattle hitting my crossmember I am down to my final annoying sound: Front End Grumblings.

The best way to describe these grumblings is to say what they are not, it is not a popping noise and it doesn't sound like a grinding noise. IT only happens between 5-20 MPH and then it is completely gone. Slow back down to under 20 and it reappears. The gears and tru-trac were put in about 6 months ago and I could not tell you if it made the noise then because at the same time it got lifted and I had bad rear driveline vibes. There are currently zero vibrations (Thank god).

So any ideas? Things to check? Wheel bearings are about a year old. I didn't see anything with the u-joints just by visibly inspecting with everything still connected. Balljoints and the like look to be all original.

Well first I would have somone turn the wheel back and forth while you inspect all steering and track bar componets for any play.

Try puting it in 4hi and see if the sound changes. (I had gears make noise, but went away when loaded in 4hi).

Then you could also pull the front shaft to see if the noise changes or goes away.

To check Ball joints jack up one side and pry up on the tire with a bar and look for play/ seperation at the lower and upper ball joint.

Does the sound change while turning? braking? anything you can do to alter/ change when it happens?

Back