• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 with 327k tow miles

Draginduster

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm new to the Jeep scene and found a 98 sport 4.0 with and auto. The odometer reads just over 327k miles but was towed behind a motor home for 5 years. My first question is, what kind of drivetrain wear can be expected from this? And is there any way to verify the actual miles, say by hooking up and reading the engine PCM? I'm a diesel tech and easy to do just that on commercial engines. Any other advice you think I should know or look out for on this would be awesome.

i didn't think the odometer registered miles when flat towed with the ignition off?

They don't. I flat tow mine when I'm required to travel for work.

None of the '97 and up XJs accumulate mileage while being towed if towed correctly with the key in the first accessory position. Expect the wear of an XJ with that many miles.

That's what I was thinking. I couldn't see any reason why the ignition would be on aside for some brake adapter thingamagig that operates the brake pedal, and even those as far as I know don't require key on operation. Ok, I'll stay away from this one. Thanks guys.

Back