• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ with all types of problems

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i need some help. i am helping a friend work on his new truck, a 98 xj limited, auto 4.0l. it has some strange problems that i searched and couldnt find an answer. not sure if they are related, they seem to be mostly electrical.

1. the odometer, speedo, volts, temp, oil and gas gauges all dont work. the oil gauge tweeks a little bit when you start it up but that is all. some of the lights on the cluster dont work but most do. the one i notice is the check engine light doesnt come on. we tried wigling the whole gauge cluster, didnt work. tried taking the cluster out and tugging on the harness a little, no good.

2. i hooked it up to the scanner and it gave me 2 codes, no check engine light though. the codes are p1494 - manufacturer control auxiliary emission control and p1899 - manufacturer control transmission.

3. wouldnt crank at first, realized that the nss acts up and you have to wiggle the shifter.

4. the turn signals werent working and we realized if you messed with the 4 way flasher switch then they would work.

so im not sure if these are related or not, the biggest problems are the first 2. it wont pass inspection as it is so any help would be appreciated.

P1899 is telling you to remove, clean, lubricate, reinstall, and adjust the NSS. JP Magazine how-to: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

P1494 relates to the EVAP system and is telling you the leak detection pump or switch has a problem: P1494 (M) Leak Detection Pump Sw or Mechanical Fault Incorrect input state detected for the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) pressure switch.

97+ have an issue with the connector at the back of the IP. There is a TSB for a new connector, some just pull the cluster and clean the contacts and use a little dielectric grease. If you try that, give a couple of good tugs on the harness to try and get a little slack in it to relieve stress on the connector.

If the gauges don't work, and you get a "NO BUS" message, and the engine will crank but not start, then that would indicate the crank sensor is shorted internally to ground and must be replaced. A quick test is to unplug the crank sensor then turn the key ON, if the gauges start to work then it is definitely the crank sensor shorted.

Last edited:
ok so that answers one of the codes and the nss switch question. and i guess ill figure out that other code. thanks alot! now i just need to figure out these other problems. anyone have any ideas?

You only mentioned two codes, and I covered both of them.

You only mentioned two codes, and I covered both of them.

If you want a copy of the TSB PM me your email address. Last I checked the updated connector is still available from the dealer, about $8, you have to solder it in and it adds about 6 inches of wire to aid in stress relief.

Back