• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj no 1-2 shift code po700 and po753

birdmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj with aw4 trans. it skips 2nd and goes to 3rd and does not downshift. the codes are po700 and po753. how do i check the seliniods and could it just be the tcu. What else should I check?

I had that happen to my 97 a few years ago. Took it to mr. transmission and they replaced one of the solenoids and it fixed the problem and haven't had any trouble since.

just beware the trans online article linked above show the connector pin out for pre 97 aw4s. the connector has changed and can be found in the fsm. i just did mine in june i had a po758 (i believe) and starting out in third. changed the solenoids and all is good! mike

is po753 for the lock up soleniod? do i need just that one?

No, that code points to one of the shift solenoids which corresponds to your problem. Scroll back up and use the link Joe Peters provided and measure the resistance of the solenoid before you start buying parts. In all likely hood you do have a bad solenoid, but it's always nice to rule out the wiring before spending money on expensive replacement parts.

I just test the seloniods at the tcu, seloniod A is 2.7, B is 8.5 and the lock up is 8.5 I had my meter on 200ohm,s.

Last edited:
Back