• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dip stick oil ?????

pitbull10

NAXJA Forum User
:helpme:I am looking at a 93 xj and Im kinda baffeled.
I checked the oil and it looks a little milky on the dip stick.
But then when i drain it its fine, no milky look.
I have been told that it is becouse the dip stick tube is sweating.
Does this sound like bull SH^t to any of you or the trueth .
I have not ever sean this before.

it's possible, I've seen it on transmission sticks.

to be sure you should send some of your used oil off to have it analyzed, that way you'll know for sure if you have coolant or fuel in the crankcase.

If you drained the oil and it looks good I wouldnt worry about it.

-------unless the oil looks brand new :rolleyes:

Yeah, that crap just on the dipstick usually indicates a lot of cold start/short trips. The engine never fully warms up, the oil doesn't get hot enough to get rid of the natural condensation that builds up in the crankcase.

Couple of things to do. Make sure that you are running the correct 195 degree thermostat and that it is functioning correctly--should indicate 200-210 on the dash after 20 minutes of driving, that will aid in warming up the engine. If you just do a lot cold start/short runs, then consider changing your oil on a 3-month basis rather than mileage. That condensation combines with the oil and combustion byproducts and will shorten the life of the bearings in the engine.

Consider running a diesel motor oil like Rotella 10w30 or 15w40.

Yeah, that crap just on the dipstick usually indicates a lot of cold start/short trips. The engine never fully warms up, the oil doesn't get hot enough to get rid of the natural condensation that builds up in the crankcase.

Couple of things to do. Make sure that you are running the correct 195 degree thermostat and that it is functioning correctly--should indicate 200-210 on the dash after 20 minutes of driving, that will aid in warming up the engine. If you just do a lot cold start/short runs, then consider changing your oil on a 3-month basis rather than mileage. That condensation combines with the oil and combustion byproducts and will shorten the life of the bearings in the engine.

Consider running a diesel motor oil like Rotella 10w30 or 15w40.

Thank you for the info this is what a forum should be all about.
The guy im picking this up from said thats about all he drives it is short little runs to the end of his drive way and back so yeah .
It has one other issue ,, it wonders a little , the sway bar is gone and it has a rustys 4.5 with adjustable lower links any thoughts on that???

:helpme:I am looking at a 93 xj and Im kinda baffeled.
I checked the oil and it looks a little milky on the dip stick.
But then when i drain it its fine, no milky look.
I have been told that it is becouse the dip stick tube is sweating.
Does this sound like bull SH^t to any of you or the trueth .
I have not ever sean this before.

Same thing here on my Comanche. Doesn't show all the time, I'm counting on it being the truth. I'm not sweating it.

You can also check out the underside of the 710 cap, and the coolant bottle. First thing I ever do when looking at a vehicle. Also, unless they say they just changed the oil or flushed the cooling system the oil will probably not be brand new and the coolant will likely not be bright green.

As far as wandering, you need to lay under the front end and have a second pair of hands turn the wheel slowly left/right so you can observe the front end components using a bright spotlight.

cool deal thank you.
I had him take it to my buddys alignment shop.
It all checked out the track bar is a little loose and it needs a alignment.
But all else is good.

don't worry until you see it thick on the inside of the filler cap

Back