• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long do the stock injectors typically last?

I have a 2000 XJ with 174,467 miles. I just did a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) and it showed high levels of fuel in the oil. I’m guessing this is due to bad injectors? Any thoughts?

I would think blow by from weak rings would lead to fuel in the oil.

If that were true, wouldn’t I be burning oil? I was thinking that one or more injector(s) might be leaking. I took my last UOA 6 months ago and there were no signs of fuel in the oil.

But how is it getting to the oil?

When the engine is turned off, the injectors are still pressurized. When injectors get tired and wore out, they can leak, or so I’ve been told.

It is entirely possible that your injectors are dirty and doing exactly what dieselenthusiast describes.

Cheapest way out is to try running some BG 44K in your tank. start with a full or nearly full tank, add the 44K and drive til 1/8 tank is left. The stuff is amazing and generally available at higher end foreign repair shops. About $30 for a pint but it flat works.

Or, you could replace your injectors. I have had excellent results with sets of 6 remanufactured injectors from www.painjection.com. Reasonable prices, fast shipping, include new o-rings, and you get the correct upgraded injectors.

If you're facing the cost of replacing injectors, it might be worthwhile first to get some test equipment. You can test them with a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and a tester that fires them individually. Of course I'd say that, because I will take any excuse to buy gadgets, but it is rather handy to be able to test your injectors.

If you have a dribbling injector that leaks down when parked, it may not show when driving, and probably won't burn much if any oil, but you might experience a puff of smoke when starting, and a miss that goes away when it's burned off the excess.

it is very common for injectors to go bad after say 150k and in my experience it happens more on the late model jeeps than the early models. i dont know how the late models respond to 19#/hr injectors but the early models love them. Bosch yellow they come out of 5.0's 4.6's etc and you can find them uber cheap on e bay already rebuilt

My 91 has 230k on stock injectors, my 96 has 146k on them, and my 98 has 202k on them. No problems yet, but then again I haven't had an oil analysis done.

I'd second running some BG44K to see if it fixes the problem, if it doesn't, try a new set of injectors I guess.

If you're facing the cost of replacing injectors, it might be worthwhile first to get some test equipment. You can test them with a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and a tester that fires them individually. Of course I'd say that, because I will take any excuse to buy gadgets, but it is rather handy to be able to test your injectors.

If you have a dribbling injector that leaks down when parked, it may not show when driving, and probably won't burn much if any oil, but you might experience a puff of smoke when starting, and a miss that goes away when it's burned off the excess.

another cheaper test is to pull the rail and injectors from the intake and leave the fuel line attached. Cycle the key on a couple times and look for leakage.

I'll get six small glass jars and set the injectors in them for a couple hours-- wet jar= leaking injector.

My 91 has 230k on stock injectors, my 96 has 146k on them, and my 98 has 202k on them. No problems yet, but then again I haven't had an oil analysis done.

I'd second running some BG44K to see if it fixes the problem, if it doesn't, try a new set of injectors I guess.

the trucks odometer stopped working @ 273K, still Renix injectors.

the XJ has 335K on the clock and looks to be renix injectors.

they're ticking time bombs, I'm never without the fire extinguisher.

I have 230K on my XJ - I replaced 2 injectors about 5 years ago because they leaked outside. I never thought about leaking inside. Seems to me it would pop it's head out when I get smogged. Stock, plastic & metal RENIX injectors @ $50 each.

Planning on doing the swap to rebuilt 19# Bosch injectors for ~$125 WITH o-rings. Another project for down the road. If they start leaking it'll give me a kick in the butt to get r' done.

A good upgrade is the yellow/orange top injectors or even neon 703's
Can usually find a set for under 100.

When injectors get tired and wore out, they can leak, or so I’ve been told.
===========================================================
True: but often you will get a hard start or long cranking time until the pump builds presser in the fuel system. If you also have this condition I would say it the inj else I would look at something else first.
The earlier sample showed NO fuel in gas. With 174K on the odameter and a bunch of miles on THAT oil. That do't sound right to me. Should be some gas in it.

True: but often you will get a hard start or long cranking time until the pump builds presser in the fuel system. If you also have this condition I would say it the inj else I would look at something else first.
The earlier sample showed NO fuel in gas. With 174K on the odameter and a bunch of miles on THAT oil. That do't sound right to me. Should be some gas in it.

I do not have a hard time with starting. Besides faulty injectors, how else would I get gas in the oil? Unless if the ECM is spraying too much????? I honestly don't know enough about these engines to make an educated guess.

Incomplete combustin can cause fuel dilution to your oil. A poor spray pattern from one or more injectors, poor tuneup hardware etc. I think you should try something that surely needs to be done anyway and it could very well fix your problem. Put a can of BG 44K in it and run through a tankfull of gas.

Incomplete combustin can cause fuel dilution to your oil. A poor spray pattern from one or more injectors, poor tuneup hardware etc. I think you should try something that surely needs to be done anyway and it could very well fix your problem. Put a can of BG 44K in it and run through a tankfull of gas.

Sounds good........... Do you know the best place to buy the stuff? I know that some dealerships have it, but they mark that stuff up.

It's expensive, I know. A local repair shop owner sells me a can now and then for cash money, usually $25 to $30. No matter what the cost, the effectiveness of this product is just flat worth it as an alternative to replacing injectors and using other inferior products in large quantities.

Do you think that auto parts store will have it?

EDIT: I found BG's website, but they only list service center locations. They're all dealerships in my area, except for one Jiffy Lube. The last time I saw it at the dealership they were charging $75.00 per can.

Last edited:
Back