• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" lift with stock UCAs doable?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
QUESTION:
I am wondering if I can get away with installing RE 4.5" springs and continue to run my stock UCAs? I have JKS adjustable LCAs and trac bar so my thought was, if possible, to swap the springs and make adjustments to the trac bar and LCAs accordingly. This would NOT be my permanent setup, simply temporary until I can afford long-arms. I also would not wheel the Jeep with this setup, just daily driving.

CURRENT SPECS:
97 XJ 4.0L, auto, 4x4, RE 3.5" springs front and rear (full leafs), JKS trac bar, JKS LCAs, RE monotubes, extended brake lines, and 1" t-case drop, and Bushwacker cut-out flares to clear 33x12.50r15 BFG KM2s.

REASON:
I have an opportunity to split the price in half on the new 4.5" springs and give my 3.5" springs to my cousin who just bought an XJ. We had originally planned to split the cost on the new springs, RC long-arm upgrade, and RC trac bar w/bracket and I would give him my LCAs, trac bar, and springs. It would have saved us both a bunch of money and given us what we both wanted but budgets have changed. So I may need to go about this in stages starting with the springs.

WHAT I DO KNOW:
-The higher the lift with short arms in the stock location the more ride quality will suffer.
-4.5 inches of lift seems to be the limit for short arms and beyond that most recommend drop brackets or long-arm.
-I will most likely need new shocks or buy bar pin eliminators for the current shocks.
-If the previous mentioned new setup can be done with stock arms, the trac bar and LCAs will need to be further adjusted for the higher lift height.
-Drive line vibes may worsen calling for a SYE and rear double carden driveshaft or at minimum some axle shims.

Sorry for the lengthy thread and info, I know how some threads can runaway with flak or information that may already be known. I just wanted to avoid that as much as possible and hopefully get a straight answer.

I drove on 4.5 with rough country coils and lowers with stock uppers for about 2 years. It was fine. Even wheeled it. Just get used to the fact every bump is felt but thats the pain with short arms. I'm at 6.5 with aftermarket arms and I am trying to decide on either a midarm set up or drop brackets just because I am growing tired of the harsh ride.

yeah you will be fine.

Back