• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing rear brakelines

Eisenherz

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have solutions for threading in new lines the port on the back of the drums a lil rusty, old line came out fine but new lines being a pain to put in.

don't force it or you'll be buying new wheel cylinders and more lines.

First, make sure you've got the right lines, since metric fittings come in nearly the same size but will never go in.

Assuming the right lines, the fittings still very sensitive to crooked installation, and the stiff lines combined with the awkward angle you're working at can make it difficult to see when they're not straight. Keep trying, don't force, and eventually you'll get it.

First, make sure you've got the right lines, since metric fittings come in nearly the same size but will never go in.

Assuming the right lines, the fittings still very sensitive to crooked installation, and the stiff lines combined with the awkward angle you're working at can make it difficult to see when they're not straight. Keep trying, don't force, and eventually you'll get it.
This.

The metric ones will go in a turn or so and then stop.

Please don't ask how I found this out :eye:

I like to clean out the female side in the back of the cylinder with a little wire brush, like a .22 caliber cleaning brush just to sharpen up the threads. There's usually goop & rust in and around there.

...and X2 on the odd angle, until you can make it go straight in, it won't.

Well I dont know why this didnt edit or post last night but I'm working on a 1990 XJ 4.0 auto, swapped the 90's rearend for an 89 rearend that was the same. I'm guessing patience and persistence here :roflmao:

By spending approximately 20 to 30 minutes attempting to thread it in, in 20 degree weather, cursing my head off, before reading the label on the piece of preflared brake tubing and realizing it had metric fittings.

:doh:

Back