• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool Oiler and separator woes for OBA

bdahlg

NAXJA Forum User
Set up my on board air with my stock ac compressor, works wonderfully, I just hate having to frequently refill the oiler and dump out the remnants in the separator.

I have this for the oiler and separator:
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-psi-frl-air-regulator-92261.html

It is just a really tight fit to have to refill and dump it out so often.

How do I go about connecting it so it will run in a constant loop where I would only have to fill it once in a while? Just run a tube from the bottom of the separator into the bottom of the oiler bowl? ...or directly to the tube in the oiler?

Would really like to solve this predicament as I use my system often.

Thanks in advance.

I will post pictures up soon.

Re: Tool Oiler and separator woes

1991 Laredo 4.0 btw. Here are some pictures of what I am running:

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
Re: Tool Oiler and separator woes

As you can see from the pics, my problem is space: it's an extremely tight squeeze to fill up the oiler.

Furthermore, it's a downright PITA to remove the separator. I have to remove the air line, pressure switch, 1/4" tee and check valve, then remove the bowl on the separator.

The reason why the separator is so difficult to take off is that i had air leaks from the seal on the bowl, so I had to super tighten it with a pipe wrench.

I just want to know if I can run a continous loop from the separator to the oiler and how one would go about doing so? My thought is just connecting a hose to both drain valves on the bottom of the bowls...

Anyone?

Is there a good reason to run the separator?
If you are just running air tools a little oil is not going to hurt anything. The biggest reason for a separator is to prevent contamanation in paint spraying/ plasma cutting.

If you're just running air tools a little oil is beneficial but the water isn't. Air lockers also don't seem like good places to get water into.

I believe you may run into issues with pressurization (either too much or not enough) trying to run the oil from the separator back into the oiler, perhaps you could extend the filler on the oiler so that it's easier to get to, or relocate it slightly?

Keeping oil out of your tires might be a good idea... Just saying.
My garage system runs a separator and I oil the tools at the tools with a drop as needed based on useage. IMO, oil will degrade all the rubber components with which it comes into contact.

Perhaps move the separator to a location after the pressure switch/regulator. Where is your outlet, line connection, in the cargo area?
Maybe more accessability back there.

Yea, I was thinking about the whole pressurization thing kastein, that was what was putting this thought to a rest.

I am running the air hose across the firewall to the back of the XJ to a 5 gallon 125psi tank. Thought about relocating the separator, but won't pressure and the long length of the hose overtime be not so beneficial (hose exploding, pressure switch getting all gummed up, etc?)

I searched all night on this, seems that some bronco guys recirculate it from the separator and with further research, ended up with a JP Magazine article: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0904_onboard_air_anatomy/photo_07.html

Even though it's based off of a York unit, I believe it can definitely be applied to our Sandens. Let pressure build for a second, turn the ball valve, oil escapes out of the separator bowl and into the pump (whereas i would just run a line to the oiler bowl, thus filling it up). Then shut off the ballvalve and full pressure is restored.

Comments? seems reasonable enough

Sounds good to me.

Like I said my only real worry would be recirculating the water, after a while you will probably have to drain it because it will build up over time.

Sounds good to me.

Like I said my only real worry would be recirculating the water, after a while you will probably have to drain it because it will build up over time.

Yes, absolutely. This is just to get a little more life out of it. Changing it less often is the goal here. I would do it just like an oil change.

Does anyone know what that little hexagon metal plug is on the top of the oiler (seen in the first and last pics)? The Harbor Freight manual designates it as "Oil Plug." Do they mean oil fill plug? I surely hope so, which would make changing the oil, or ATF in this case, very doable and efficient.

Thanks for all your responses.

go to flexible lines...

Ehhhh no. I like how mine is perfectly tight and sturdy; it's not going anywhere.

Idk how you can deal with all that stuff floppin' around while driving! This is my DD, which is why I went the fixed pipe route. I was going to do flexible in the beginning, but I see setups like yours and can't imagine how floppy everything would be under the hood. Not trying to be a dick, just saying.

Anyone on the plug?

EDIT

Definitely is an oil fill plug on the oiler, which is what I was suspecting.

Plan of attack is:
Find a fittings for the oil fill plug and bottom of separator bowl
1/4" or so ball valve for output on separator
clear hose running from separator to top of oiler (verify when separators empty.)

This should make me feel all warm inside when I am running the compressor and will be confident that compressor is getting adequate oil.

When I dont see anymore oil in the sight glass of the oiler, crank the ball valve and then you have oil again!

Probably source parts over the weekend and install. Will have pictures of it next week, maybe even a tiny writeup for future reference since noone else seems to have done this before.

Last edited:
im getting ready to ditch the stock a/c compressor because im tired of of oiling it all the time, the compressed air gets way hotter than when i had my electric compressor which keeps melting and blowing my hoses off, and it always leaks air from the fittings on the compressor. im going to save my money and get a york, which is a hundred times better and more reliable.
i think the a/c to oba mod is a great place to start but if you want something reliable then i dont think you can beat having a york.

Try running the compressed, filtered air through the ac condenser.

Im gonna do that!

Try running the compressed, filtered air through the ac condenser.

ripped it out when my a/c died. and i dont think its rated for 150psi anyways

I believe it will handle at least 300, since some of the ac system runs at that. Not sure. Not having one is a valid reason to not use it though, that's for sure...

i think my compressor is on the brink of burning up anyways so im sure thats a contributing factor.

I read somewhere that they tapped the compressor for a zerk to give a squirt of grease instead of tool oil. dunno how well it worked but it sounded easy enough. that would end the seperator woes i would imagine. I haven't tried it or really know if its feasible..just regurgitating info.

Back