• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build your own shifter linkage

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Don't know if this has been posted but I found this searching google and though I would post it here. It's BS fabricators take on how to make your own linkage with junkyard stuff. I plan to be doing this shortly and I'll post pics when I do.

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

That depends on how you set it up - the lever arm lengths. Basically you need to calculate the lengths of the arms on the TC and the shifter grip such that the shifter grip throw is the same as stock.

I tried that mod on my MJ.....didn't work. OP must be running an AW4, I've got an AX15 and there's too little space (and bad geometry) between the end of the cab shifter and the range selector tab on the TC.

It's a great homebrew, and I wish I coulda got it to work, but I'm thinking it's only possible with an auto. If you've got one, yer golden.

Jeff

i did this. instead of using an s10 arm or whatever it was i just modified my stock one. super easy to make. shifter location stayed the same, much less complicated, and overall a nicer feel getting it into gear.

The original writeup is from Billy, aka JeepFreak21 on the forum.
How did you mod the stock arm?
Pretty simple. I just cut the end off lined it up how it should go, tacked it, removed it, finish weld, grind, paint, install.

The whole thing took about 40min to do including paint drying time. It is easier if you have a spare case on the ground to help mock. I used 7/16" rod ends and bolts.

TCaseLinkage.jpg

I'll have to try that.

I had made a arm for the T-case completely from scratch but something didn't work right.

I do have a spare T-case to work with.

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone tried this (or something similar) on an NP242? Advance Adapters' kit doesn't fit (went through that on the phone with them after they'd told me it would) and while the Novak kit is nice, it's also way more than I want to spend.

here was my fix http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95548 its posted here but I cant find it
Looks good, but much more complicated with more parts. I like the above method a bit better.
Whats the length of the rod connecting the shifter to the T-case?
I'm not sure. I just threw both in 2wd and measured the distance between hole centers and set it that way. Works great.
If you are looking at how much threaded rod to purchase, 6" should be plenty, but I'd buy 12" just in case it is really cheap.

Last edited:
sweet i need to try this. after i did my motor swap i have never been able to get the lincage adjusted perfectly so it'll pop out of 4lo and 4hi somethimes :/

For anyone who may be interested in doing this: I was just able to pick up the rod ends (7/16"-20, right-hand thread) at Ace Hardware. They don't appear to be in their online shop, but they did have them in the store. Brand is Hillman, part number 883517.

I'll start in on figuring out if this is doable or not for the NP242 next week - there are a couple of junkyard parts I'd like to scrounge first, and I still need allthread that won't be available until certain local shops open up again on Monday.

If your a 5 speed it may not work, I have the two rod ends completely together on all thread so it just barely worked for me. If feels okay shifting but I must have stressed something where the 231 shifter tab bolts on cuz its leaking quite a bit from there.

Make sure that you use nylock nuts, or Loctite on the bolts that go through the heims. If you don't, you will be calling your friends when you're on your way to the trail and realize your shifter is no longer hooked up to your transfercase.

I don't call out of wheeling for silly crap like that, I realize when I get to the trailhead, say xxxx it, grab a big wrench or pair of vice grips and pop it into 4lo by hand.

Heck... my linkage bent double 5 minutes into camp uj and I've been wheeling every few weeks since then regardless :dunno:

I don't call out of wheeling for silly crap like that, I realize when I get to the trailhead, say xxxx it, grab a big wrench or pair of vice grips and pop it into 4lo by hand.

Heck... my linkage bent double 5 minutes into camp uj and I've been wheeling every few weeks since then regardless :dunno:

Let me rephrase Ken, you call your friends who are much closer to the meeting place to stop at a store and get you a new bolt, so when you get there, you can put it in and go wheeling.

i picked up a jk tcase shifter setup that i put an atlas in. as they use a cable system i hope to relocate my t case shifter next to my relocated tranny shifter.

Back