• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest safe way to fit stock Moab wheels and tires.

killerfly128

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a really nice 98 2wd XJ and ran across a great deal on some Moabs with newish tires. I know I cant run them on a stock truck so what is the most dollar friendly way to get them to work? Keep in mind this is a 2wd street only, no flexing mine out.

I am looking at both the daystar 1.75" BB and the teraflex 1.5" BB ... also on the table is a bastard pack and 2 or 3 inch spacers in front but I would rather avoid that route because I want to use the same shocks (brand new)

Here is the new XJ ... Just cant seem to get away from them, this will be number 6 in 2 years. (I know, she is in dire need of a wash)

imag0014o.jpg

Looks like a clean rig. What size/type of tires are mounted on the Moab wheels?

I believe there are 16 and 17 inch versions of the Moabs (someone can correct me if I am wrong). AS for stock tire type, really depends on the model you get them from.
As far as higher lift and shocks, Depending on your shock length you can run BPE's or if anything you can pickup some Jk shocks for cheap or even some ZJ V8 Upcountry shocks for a decent price as well.

i had a 96 classic with 254/75/16 that was bone stock(and sagging in the rear) and ran moabs no problem.....
34682775.jpg

5faae564.jpg

You are correct. The 17's are 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern though.

:lecture:

5 on 5"

Do a 2/3" BB/cheap lift and extend the shock brackets. I just did it to my DD, stock rear shocks with raised mounts and a 2" extention on the bottom of the stock front shocks.

The Moabs came in both 16" (TJ's) and 17" (JK's) sizes. The 17" (JK's) have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern and will not fit without an adapter. The TJ Moabs came with 245/75R16 (30.5") and the JK Moabs came with 255/75R17 (32.0"). The TJ Moabs will bolt right up with factory size tire with no additional lift, but may rub when you hit a pothole. Add a coil spacer in front and either a longer shackle or add a leaf in the rear.

:lecture:

5 on 5"

Do a 2/3" BB/cheap lift and extend the shock brackets. I just did it to my DD, stock rear shocks with raised mounts and a 2" extention on the bottom of the stock front shocks.

Thank you kind sir.. I stand corrected

if you don't want to spend or have the money to lift try a 225/75/16 . i have to Moab's on my 96 but i'm running 245/75/16 Mt/r wrangler with a 3 inch lift. looks good.

I ran 16" Moabs with 245/75's on mine for about a week (on the street) before I installed my lift kit. They rubbed on the front edge of the fender flare/bumper extension when I turned into my driveway, etc. I was able to fix with some minor trimming of the flare. Trimming was not noticeable - just the inside edge of the flare that doesn't show from the side. The rears rubbed across the top of the fender flares when hitting speed bumps, etc. I was able to trim the inside edge of the flares and no more rubbing. No way they would have worked off road though - I'm pretty sure I would have torn the flares off.

IMG_01901.jpg

If you're going to run the stock rubicon mt/r's, be warned, its a load E tire, and they wear poorly. I hated mine, and I'm now going to a 15 inch rim, and selling my moabs to get some load c tires.

Just a warning! The rim is great however, its just up to what tire you run.

If you're going to run the stock rubicon mt/r's, be warned, its a load E tire, and they wear poorly. I hated mine, and I'm now going to a 15 inch rim, and selling my moabs to get some load c tires.

Not gonna be the stockers, they are some wrangler street tires ... forget the model.

those mtr's need to be rotated often and watch the tire pressure, otherwise they wear very unevenly.

I run them (moabs with same size tire but not mtr's) with a poly 1 3/4" spacer up front, and the 4886186 "HD" rear stock springs...looks great.

When running 10 ply tires (load range E) I adjust the air pressure down accordingly. I have no complaints on the way my 10 ply's ride and they are wearing perfectly even too. Just do the chalk test and run as little air as the tire will allow for even treadwear and your ride will be fine. For me, with my specific tire, I am running 30psi cold and with over 10k miles, I have only worn 3/32 of tread off them, and they are also a M/T tire.

Don't forget that the original equipment MTR's that the rubi's come with is a different tread compound that the ones you can buy from the corner tire shop.

I'm running a set of Moabs on my 00 with an OME 3" kit. For tires I've got a set of BFG A/T's in 245/75R16. I've only got them at 26psi. I started at 30 but it rode like a tank and slid around in the rain from such a small contact patch. Once I got the air pressure dialed in its a very noticable difference and much better in the rain.

Back