• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I find a 30 tooth Speedometer Gear without being price gouged?

One_Sick_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, my speedometer is way off and I found the link that contains a table chart with which speedometer gear can correct my issue, however, I am having trouble locating a speedometer gear that isn't outrageously priced. I went to my local Jeep dealer and they said that the part was discontinued, so I searched online for an aftermarket solution, however, the $20 some odd part is being sold for $40 or more from where I have found it and I am just checking to see if there is anywhere that anyone knows that I can get a new one without having to spend double the dealer's price before I suck it up and pay that much for one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'd call another dealer,
discontinued is an easy way of saying "I don't feel like looking for that piddly thing"
not to mention it shouldn't mean they re-called all the ones out in circulation and recycled them...
call around.

Hi guys, my speedometer is way off and I found the link that contains a table chart with which speedometer gear can correct my issue!

Where did you find it? Link?

I would hit the junkyard, checking every XJ, YJ, and TJ in the place. It may have been a stock size on a YJ/TJ with 3.07 gears and 28" tires. All it takes is one 1/2" bolt to take it out.

Assuming you already have the part number, try the results in this Google search.

I agree that $40 is steep; mine was around $20 when I replaced it nearly 5 years ago. However, $40 is almost certainly going to be substantially less than the cost of one speeding ticket and/or points on your licence. Just something to consider.

What tire/gear combo is the 30tooth gear for? I've got a gear for 32s/3.55 that I could ship to you for $25. Don't remember the tooth count at the moment.

Last edited:
i got mine on ebay for $12. i may have one in my parts box. pm me if you need it and i'll check. i just searched for 30 tooth speedometer gear on ebay. the seller had a whole bunch of different tooth gears for cheap.

Not sure how current it is, but 5-90 had a list of small parts that he had for an "parts exchage" I would message him and see what he has.

i looked all i have is a 32 and a 34 shorts. i have one 26 long.. sorry. last time i priced on for a customer when the dealer i worked for was in business was close to 80.00 bucks. ouch.

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I definitely need a 30 tooth gear. I did a quick google search and quadratec is one of the places that I found it for $40. 32 inch tires with 3.55 gears calls for a 31 tooth gear per the chart that I have found and that bwinter posted above. XJosh95 and jeeptec, thanks for checking what you have and for your offers guys!

92tahoexj, if you could, please post up or pm me a link to the ebay seller that has the inexpensive gears. I usually don't use ebay for precision parts like these because they are usually made overseas and aren't to spec, but if you have previously purchased from them and the part has done its job well, I would be willing to give it a shot. Thanks!

A lot of places are selling Crown speedo gears. I got mine off ebay for around $45 shipped. Came with a new O-ring for the sender too. I'll try to find the seller.

edit- they don't list any 30 tooth speedo gears.

Last edited:
A "true" 32" tire will need a 30 tooth gear with 3.55. However, most tires are not true to their advertised size. My 32" BFG AT's measure around 31.7", calling for a 31 tooth speedo gear, which is the tires go-jeeps' site is based off of.

Mine was way off with a 30 tooth with that set up.

A "true" 32" tire will need a 30 tooth gear with 3.55. However, most tires are not true to their advertised size. My 32" BFG AT's measure around 31.7", calling for a 31 tooth speedo gear, which is the tires go-jeeps' site is based off of.

Mine was way off with a 30 tooth with that set up.

You don't happen to have that 30 tooth gear laying around still, do ya? :idea:

You don't happen to have that 30 tooth gear laying around still, do ya? :idea:

I believe I do. I have a '91 so it is the older long sprocket one if tyhats what you are looking for. Have to look.

BTW I got mine off of parts mike, who sent me the brand new 31 tooth for free after making the mistake and let me keep the other one. I believe I paid around $50 for it???

I believe I do. I have a '91 so it is the older long sprocket one if tyhats what you are looking for. Have to look.

BTW I got mine off of parts mike, who sent me the brand new 31 tooth for free after making the mistake and let me keep the other one. I believe I paid around $50 for it???

I have an 89 so that long sprocket should work just fine! I'll split the cost with you and pay you $25 for it shipped if you can find it. Just let me know and thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I was doing some research and referencing the go jeep chart and was wondering if anyone knows if the 30 tooth gear for the 91-93 XJ part #52068152 is compatible with my 89 which the chart says the part # is J3212730. Any info would be appreciated!

Back