• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for mounting a netbook in my XJ

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ. I am a delivery driver and spend a lot of time sitting idle in my jeep. I have a gateway netbook I would like to mount up in here somehow.

Ideas?

I would get rid of the netbook and get a notebook. notebooks are 10x better because cheap you can get a pack of 4 for a $1.00 plus you can mount it by throwing it on the seat

Weird. I bought a netbook about 5 months ago with intentions of mounting it somehow and hooking it up to my stereo and using it for playing all my music. And although I have not got around to it I still intend to.

I was going to weld together a stand of some sort and have it bolt through the floor on the right of the center console resulting in the netbook being right next to the shifter. Im not sure if this would work as I have not planned anything out and its just a theory in my head.

I use an eeepc with a 160gb drive. I took the arm rest console box out, chopped it in half and then cut a section out of it and plastic welded it back together so it's skinnier. This left an empty spot under the armrest/center console where I could mount and aluminium bracket and slide my eeepc in. It goes in with the lid closed and connects to a touch screen on the dash mounted in front of the stereo. The eepc is hidden and I just put it into sleep mode as it runs off a second battery anway. To wake it up I have a loop back cable connected to the lan port and a press of a button on the end wakes it up without having to pull it out and open the lid.

The eeepc runs all my music,videos, 3G Internet, wireless internet, syncs with my homepc when I drive in the garage, used to download pics from my camera toit when on the road. I even use it for video skype calls to my 2 year old daughter when I'm away wheelin for a few days. On top of all that it runs street mapping and oziexplorer for topo mapping. A brilliant setup that I've been running for over 2 years with no problems.

Cheers
Steve

Take a look at this and this. If you decide to go that route, double-check that those are the correct combination of components, but I seem to recall (from when I was looking at doing this last year) that it is.

Just be sure to locate the netbook outside of the airbag deployment zone.

I just made this. All the ones that did not vibrate at all were in the 300 dollar and up range. This top of the vertical will bolt up a 1/2" barrel bushing welded to a hinge to rotate. I am waiting for the laptop plate to come back waterjet to finish it.

All in all I have about $30 bucks and its rock solid.

As for the laptop I use a Toughbook CF-29

181095_1485742038296_1676277245_959893_2577818_n.jpg

179269_1482791084524_1676277245_954874_8010459_n.jpg

181949_1485642155799_1676277245_959795_5480365_n.jpg

Back